Preparing for a mix. - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Ciar2001 View Post
    I agree with your point that's why the technology is there, but in that respect I am still old fashioned i still mix like i would on 1210's albeit with loops and fx and not using tt's and i prefer to do an hour or longer without errors, mainly because if i was to ever play out again, then i would want to be 100% satisfied i could easily go for an hour or two without clangers,on top of that as you said I am seriously anal about bad transitions and bad beat grids! I have even had people comment that i should actually be a little bit easier on myself as my mixes are good lol, awful at taking praise too ;-)

I did the old TDK 180's myself back in the day with the old tape deck switching over automatically so you could fill the whole thing, i was awful about errors then too lol.

admittedly my mixes aren't to promote myself as it's not something i am aiming for it's more for people to appreciate the music i select and me to enjoy people listening to them on top of the fact I wanted to mix EDM again as i missed the feeling and hated buying mix cd's!,hopefully that makes sense, don't get me wrong if a gig came along then i would jump at the chance but if it doesn't then that's fine also.

but your right use what technology you have imho that's just how i do things from a personal perspective.

The best thing for me is i listen to EDM a lot when i am driving to and from work, and i listen for my mistakes and rectify them by doing them a different way, it's kinda like i teach myself new tricks new places to drop loops different fx by listening to my mixes over and over.
    Cool man well that is fair enough. I suppose i just got used to using Peak Pro for editing samples and breaks etc when making tunes and so just realised I could do it with mixes too.

Don't get me wrong, i still make a mix in one take from time to time (the mix B-Day i did for my mate i did in one take) that was mainly cause i knocked it together about 2 hours before i gave it to her on cd . Also I did this mix when i first got my VCI and Traktor pro so it's a tiny bit ruff and ready in my opinion. Or rather it sounds like a live mix.

This mix i did on serato (hence lack of fx) and made a couple of edits so am happy with every mix http://soundcloud.com/djmaxone/winter-warmer-vol-2

I think it is a good to do a mix in one take. But if a have to reach for the technology to save me doing it all again then i defo will.

"I did the old TDK 180's myself back in the day with the old tape deck switching over automatically so you could fill the whole thing, i was awful about errors then too lol."

haha those were the days eh!
    Last edited by MaxOne; 01-05-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

hey owners, listened to your mix, and it's pretty sound

just sort out the sound levels, as it peaks all over the place. and I also agree that you might want to think more of the whole arc of the mix before you pass it on the promoters.

but the mixings mega sturdy

EDIT: ooh shit, partly take that back.. just brought in tetris a beat late! that track starts on the 4th beat, so you have to use it as an upbeat when you bring it in. otherwise nice not drastically bad, just bear that in mind!
    Last edited by belchman; 01-06-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: still listening..!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345