New Apple Tablet: Opinions on DJ usage? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Guru

well the thing will probably only connect via wifi and i doubt that it will run a proper "desktop" OSX. what might be possible is to install a vnc client, this combined with screenrecycler would allow you to have the tablet work as an external monitor for your main machine. now this would obviously have latency implications.

as for what to actually run on that second monitor. taktor is out and will remain out for the next 1-2 years as NI UI is stuck in the stone age. so for get about touch interface, forget about multi monitor support.

ableton might be more feasible, but they also do not have multi monitor support, but they at least try to be friendly to touch (or at least pen's).

now what could of course happen is an advanced version of iTM DJ or TouchOSC, again with latency via wifi, but that could then be used to control pretty much anything and could become a very good addition if only to display the current values of double assigned knobs on your current control surface (such as a vci-100).
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    now what could of course happen is an advanced version of iTM DJ or TouchOSC, again with latency via wifi, but that could then be used to control pretty much anything and could become a very good addition if only to display the current values of double assigned knobs on your current control surface (such as a vci-100).
    I'm going to guess that this is more of the possibility. Massive version of TouchOSC, since it's also rumored that certain developers are already producing apps for it. For DJ'ing, I picture using it as a $700-800 version of a Lemur that's been redesigned by Apple to be slimmer and more functional, with better multi-touch and screen. I don't however see it being a functional second screen, but more of an additional control surface.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

I hope it runs OSX, i am putting some $$ aside for a new laptop so if its any good i might just be buying one

Tech Guru

the apple pad looks kinda cool i guess. I was awaiting the crunchpad... but it got canned about a week before its release due to legal issues. It looks like it might be reincarneted in the form of the Joojoo?

https://thejoojoo.com/sites/specification

Tech Wizard

I don't know about this. I haven't done extensive research on it, but I don't think it's gonna have any USB ports or anything of the sort. From how everyone seems to talk about it they want to use it like a Lemur. Doesn't a Lemur connect to a computer to run? Can it run by itself like a normal computer? From my observation it seems like the Lemur is a very customizable MIDI controller. If I'm wrong I'm sorry, but it seems like everyone is under the impression that this is going to work like a full functioning Macbook with weaker specs. I really don't think it's going to be like that. I think this is Apples response to the new rise in ebook machines. I don't think I'd ever buy one of those Kindle things from Amazon, but the idea of an 10" iphone with a few more features is a lot more pleasing than something that you can only read books with and that's where I think Apple is trying to go with this.

Basically all I really think is going to happen is that Apple is going to come out with another product that people are going to drool over. The few tech/dj savvy people that get ahold of one will do cool stuff with it but nothing revolutionary because of its limitations.

What I really mean by this post is that I hope that I am horribly wrong and the new product really is something that blows all our minds because that'd be one awesome piece of hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
    Doesn't a Lemur connect to a computer to run?
    Yes, but you would be able to duplicate its functionality using something like OSC over a wifi connection.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

Yeah, the crunchpad has 1 usb port. Only problem is that it runs a custom OS, so you would need to flash something else on there (which may or may not be possible) in order to run it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12