Beginner USB Controller
    Banned

Default Beginner USB Controller

Hey guys, I really want to start digital DJing but I'm not sure what controller to get. I've been looking at the Vestax Spin right now (Wish I had enough for the VCI-100) but I was wondering if you guys have any better suggestions. My price limit is around $300 and I plan to use Traktor and maybe Ableton. Thanks in advance.
    Also I'm currently using a MacBook.
    Last edited by Distant; 01-05-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Tech Mentor

If you're just starting you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars. You will mostly use your controller at home so any cheap controller will work to learn the basics of djing.

The behringuer bcd3000, one of the numark cheap controllers, or the spin should be enough at least for a year imo. Then if you keep the box, manuals, and treat the controller right you should be able to sell it.

http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/BCD3000.aspx

http://www.numark.com/computerdjvj

What you're looking for at this stage is:

- basic mixer functions (eq, gain, fader, crossfader, headphone cueing)

- basic deck control (play/pause, cue, search, pitch, sync and a basic jog wheel)

- integrated sound card in the controller (you don't need a great sound card to start... only a stereo output and a headphone output)

That's it. Djs have been mixing for decades with those functions.

You could even get that with a cheap midi controller like the oxygen series and buy an external sound card...

Extras that you don't need but could be cool:

- fx control (dedicated knobs/buttons for the fx)

- hot cues (in traktor you can have more than one cue point. extra button for launching those cue points, or doing beatjuggling are always cool, but not necessary for starting)

- extra buttons and knobs (in the world of the computer dj there are never enough buttons and knobs so you can customize functions in traktor)

Oh and the most important thing:

- good music!

Banned

Thanks for the reply pier, I'm gonna get the bcd3000.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Distant View Post
    Thanks for the reply pier, I'm gonna get the bcd3000.
    Cool

Just check if there are drivers for your OS. Some Maudio products still don't have drivers for Snow Leopard...

Also check this and other forums to see if there are people using it and what are the impressions on it.

If you can, go to a real shop and touch it to see how it feels to you. I tried the bcd once and it did feel surprisingly better than I thought. Although I wouldn't use it as my main controller for clubs. But hey for the price it's pretty good. you even get traktor LE afaik.

Do you already have Traktor or Ableton software? Would you be able to purchase the software at student discount (TPro - $150, Ableton Live - $210, Ableton Live Intro - $100)? Just thinking this would negate having to look for a controller that has Traktor LE in order to get into an upgrade path.

If you are just starting, I would look at a more modular approach than a MIDI controller with integrated audio interface. I would check out Ion's Discover DJ. $92 bucks and free shipping on Amazon. I've seen good reviews. You can purchase a Native Instruments Audio DJ 2 audio interface for $100. If you end up needing more controls, you could always add in a Korg nanoKontrol for $60.

Review:
    http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/discoverdj.php

Played around with a BCD3000 at the store once, and never really liked how it felt. Having said that, I haven't had my hands on the Vestax Spin or the Ion.
    Last edited by misa; 01-06-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Banned

Wow I totally forgot I could get a student discount, thanks!