Don't shop with itunes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Don't shop with itunes

Was going to post this in another itunes thread but thought I'd start a new one as I think everyone should know about this!
    Just thought I'd mention something on the itunes thing. The tracks are all AAC encoded, which not all music software supports. Sometimes tracks are downloaded in "purchased AAC" format which is fine because you can convert to what ever format you want in itunes. Most of the time it downloads in "protected AAC" format which means that if you want to convert to AIF, WAV etc you must burn to CD and reimport in the format you want. Not practical if you have downloaded just one song as it wastes a CD and your money, and if you have downloaded a load of songs it wastes your time.
    itunes charges 79p and sometimes 99p for a track. The tracks are all in 256k. If you delete a track by mistake you must pay again to download it and as I just mentioned all the tracks are encoded.

SO PEOPLE, MY ADVICE TO YOU, SHOULD YOU CHOSE TO LISTEN TO IT, IS....
    DON'T PURCHASE TRACKS FROM ITUNES!!!

Play.com and many others offer the same tracks in 320k bit depth (they even tell you the bit depth of every track before you download, as some are 256, the majority are 320... but at least they tell you). The tracks are also not encoded so will be ready to use in any music software. They also let you download the tracks up to somewhere around 3 or 4 times with no additional cost, just incase you loose or delete the track by mistake. They also only charge 69p per track as opposed to 79p and it works out even cheaper per track if you buy an album (sometimes as little as around 40p)! I have no problem with paying 79p or even 99p per track... but in a lower bit depth?... and encoded?... and with the option to only download it once?

ITUNES (APPLE) TAKE THE PISS!!

I'd love to spread the word to get everyone to boycott using itunes. Sure use it to organise your music but not to purchase... not until they at least stop encoding the tracks!

Sorry in advance if anyone feels differently on this matter.

Works in Traktor which is OK with me, plus it is convenient. Plus most of the music I'll DJ, iTunes doesn't have anyway, so for everyday music acquirement, I'm quite happy.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Works in Traktor which is OK with me, plus it is convenient. Plus most of the music I'll DJ, iTunes doesn't have anyway, so for everyday music acquirement, I'm quite happy.
    Yeah thats fair enough, for your everyday music acquirement then sure, for ease and convenience go for it. But I'm talking more from a DJ or even production point of view. I play a hell of a lot of music I purchase from Play or used to buy from itunes and I want to know I can get the best quality available, so if the option to pay less and get better quality is there I'm gonna go for it. I've also had load of issues with the encoding thing in the past.
    If I'm DJing a set of stuff I want to play (breaks, DnB, House) I'll shop in beatport or the alike and get WAVs. But I have to cater for a lot of different people right now so all the rubbish like Beyonce and Rihanna that I would never purchase otherwise, I'm not gonna pay £1.50 to have the WAV, but at the same time I'm playing it on a big system to keep all the dick head girls happy so I at least want the best quality available.
    Also, if you're gonna sample a track for production purposes obviously you should try and get the WAV, but if it's not available again you're going to want the best quality available. I'd sooner have 320 over 256. And again some music production software doesnt support AAC.

Just my 2 cents

Tech Mentor

iTunes doesn't sell any more DRM protected files. I have old files that I bought there which are protected but it's fine to me because I only listen to those files in itunes and my ipod.

If I really need to play a protected file in traktor I just use MP4converter.

As a user interface itunes store is pretty neat, and the whole buying experience is clean and fast.

I don't like sampling other people works so to me 256 is enough. Even considering the best possible listening situation: a good studio with perfect acoustics and thousands of dollars of equipment I doubt 0.001% of people could really hear the differences between a wav and a well encoded 256 m4p.

Otherwise you could just burn the music you download to a cd and then rip it back to your computer DRM-free.

That's probably illegal somehow. "I accept no liability..." lol

Edit: And I didn't read your whole post and you had already mentioned this. My bad. lolzzzz
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

i like itunes

*shrugs*
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

And who buys shit at iTunes having Beatport?
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

Just don't pay for anything, just filestube it!
    MixCloud

Mac Mini w/2GB Ram + Traktor 1.2 + BCD3000 + 61 Midi Keyboard + Samson Q1U

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEss View Post
    Just don't pay for anything, just filestube it!
    You wouldn't say that if your were a producer, or a record label.

BTW those are the ones that make the music you listen to.

@ Dee secure that shit soldier!
    i bought an old goa album off itunes last week because it was the only place to get it. i didn't know it was all in aac till it spit back up when i put it thru PN. wasn't too much of a problem converting but i think itunes should at least let you know the format you are getting your music in.
    Last edited by Jester; 01-08-2010 at 07:04 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast