Toshiba Vs. Macbook!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Toshiba Vs. Macbook!

OK OK...

I know what you thinking...is there even a challenge here for the Macbook?

Well, when your tight for cash like me at the moment then there is!

Don't know if you have heard of Harvey Norman in the UK or States but in AUS they are one of the biggest retailers, ever!

So here's what I came across today!

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/produ...lite-l--laptop

It's got the goods, from what I can tell, and for half the price of a Macbook with the same but better DDR3 Ram!

I know it won't beat a macbook, but if I vow to load REGISTERED version of Traktor on it with music and that's all! As in no free programs or any other programs apart from that! For simply connecting my controllers and performing as long as I keep it streamlined, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle should it?

BTW it won't even get connected to the net, EVER! So no virus's etc!

Thanks guys what would you do?
    MixCloud

Mac Mini w/2GB Ram + Traktor 1.2 + BCD3000 + 61 Midi Keyboard + Samson Q1U

If you can afford it, and it is what you need to succeed, then get it by all means. Just because some of us like Macs doesn't mean that a similar Toshiba couldn't rock just as hard, just different means of getting there. I would connect to the internet though, for updates at least. Hell, saving enough money to buy a licensed version of Traktor should be convincing enough?

How many USB ports does it have, can't find it? and also has an eSata port, which is better for external hard drives that isn't on a mac.
    Last edited by DJPhaidon; 01-09-2010 at 12:35 AM.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Even my Mac Mini kicks windows arse and I don't want to go back to windows but if that's how much cheaper it's going to be to get myself playing outside my room then I might have to lay down my Mac alliances! ; )

I'll just do downloads on my mac then transfer to windows lappie!

Thanks man!
    MixCloud

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEss View Post
    Even my Mac Mini kicks windows arse and I don't want to go back to windows but if that's how much cheaper it's going to be to get myself playing outside my room then I might have to lay down my Mac alliances! ; )

I'll just do downloads on my mac then transfer to windows lappie!

Thanks man!
    Wait wait wait, what's wrong with the Mini? Just because it's lacking a screen doesn't mean it wouldn't work. Get an ultra portable screen, a case, and bam, done.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Wizard

harvey norman is awesome for deals when they come up. yeh the laptop looks pretty decent by what it said. you may want to upgrade the hardrive to 7200rpm tho. use the current one then for backups! and the only other thing would be to check out the cache size on the processor? i think it should be 3mb L2 cache which would be fine.

good find! but im still extremely happy with my mbp
    Gear --> MBP 15" 2.53Ghz 500Gb 7200rpm HDD 4Gb RAM | DDM 4000 | UMX 25 | AK1 | AL7.18 | Traktor Pro 1.2.4

Um, yeah that's a really good idea Phaidon!

That way I could even upgrade later to a kick arse computer at half the price cause I'd just go another Mac Mini!

My mac mini at the moment only has 512mb DDR2 RAM, 80GB HDD + 80GB external and the DVD drive doesn't work because I punched it because it wasn't working now it doesn't take DVDs only CDs because I bent the housing! ; )

But yeah I might look into that because I even saw some guys post in the show your setup thread it looked dope as all in a custom made flight case!
    MixCloud

Tech Wizard

ok so i looked further into the cache size for the processor. its only a 1mb L2 cache with an 800mhz front side buss. it should run with traktor fine but when i look @ a new lappy im looking for somethin to last for a few years.
    Gear --> MBP 15" 2.53Ghz 500Gb 7200rpm HDD 4Gb RAM | DDM 4000 | UMX 25 | AK1 | AL7.18 | Traktor Pro 1.2.4

Yeah rub it in Andy Spence! haha!

My life story is that my Dad has bought me motorbikes since I was little and I've been pushed into them so when I was 16 I took out a loan in Dad's name for a motorbike! $10,500 and it ends in a few months...4 years later since I bought it!

So with all that money spent on something I really only bought because well my Dad likes motorbikes and I didn't really have any other hobbies apart from skating and drums!

My love for music has kept on growing and now I'm where I am with all this money invested in something I would sell for half the price to put into my DJing! I just gotta get one thing at a time as money becomes more available to me!

It's giving me the shits and I'm probly not the only one in this position! I've learnt a lesson though...FINANCE SUCKS! As in long term stuff anyway!
    MixCloud

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEss View Post
    Yeah rub it in Andy Spence! haha!

My life story is that my Dad has bought me motorbikes since I was little and I've been pushed into them so when I was 16 I took out a loan in Dad's name for a motorbike! $10,500 and it ends in a few months...4 years later since I bought it!

So with all that money spent on something I really only bought because well my Dad likes motorbikes and I didn't really have any other hobbies apart from skating and drums!

My love for music has kept on growing and now I'm where I am with all this money invested in something I would sell for half the price to put into my DJing! I just gotta get one thing at a time as money becomes more available to me!

It's giving me the shits and I'm probly not the only one in this position! I've learnt a lesson though...FINANCE SUCKS! As in long term stuff anyway!
    yeh look i went through the same except my loan was for a car all i can say is dont rush into things when buying. because if you have the time, save a bit more then spend it wisely. computers are forever becoming obsolete. if you leave it a bit longer then you might see an even better bargain come out sooner than u think. trust me dont blow money on stuff you will want to replace within a couple years. get something that is going to last. its so worth it in the end.

by the way, where in QLD do u live?

Tech Guru

You would be better off at that price, buying an ODM laptop and getting twice of not triple the specs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast