UMC 32 for custom controller
    Tech Convert

Default UMC 32 for custom controller

How should i start if i want to make a custom controller with this? Should i use ribbon cables to connect components? what rotary encoders/pots whould i use? what buttons should i use? how should i go about putting this together? what are good places to get cases? basically, i want to learn how to make a custom midi controller, but i thought it would be easier to learn if i said specifically what platform im starting with.

You should check out the hale site and forum:
    http://www.halemicro.com/

The cat, Kenneth, who owns it seems to be pretty nice about answering questions...

Yo selftoast what up,

you need

10k pots (panel or pc/pcb mount)
    wire
    solder
    breadboard pcb's (if you do pcb mount pots)
    case
    core (umc, u-hid, midibox or whatever)

Start by finding a case thats the size and look you like. mouser.com has 1000's of them I would look at the brands like hammond, bud, and others and look at each manufacturer's website to see good pics and its easy to find the part you want there sometimes.

For the pots you need to decide if they are panel mount or pcb mount, panel mount will screw on the panel with a washer and a bolt and will have eigther pc style pins to connect to the wire or solder lugs that are a loop to solder the wire directly to the pot. Panel mount solder lug is the easy way to go, but pcb mount will give you options on the pcb so you do not have to run as many wires for power/ground. also pcb mount will require more design. also mouser.com look in the catalog under passive components (the pdf catalog is the way to go for looking up pots)

Umc32 is easy to wire because you do not have to chain the power/ground wires (it has a power/ground for each pot on board) so I would say panel mount solder lug for yours. Order some 10 pin connectors and crimp your own to connect to umc, or buy some premade ones and cut off ends to solder to pots.

If you still cant find the parts I can give you the list of parts I used but I do not have time to dig them up today.
    Last edited by kaleaf; 01-11-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Tech Convert

oh, a parts list would be great

hey selftoast... sent you a pm

waiting for my umc to arrive, so i would really appreciate a pm as well :-D
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

weltraumpapst, sent to you also.

selftoast and weltraumpapst, the pots are standard not rotary and they are panel mount with solder lug connectors.

thanks.. i want to implement two faders -- what capacitance (is that the right word?) should i use?? 0.1W, 0.2W, 0.5W?! does it matter?!

does the diameter of the wires matter somehow?!
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

what matters is 10k restiance ... i think the stat your looking at you might be seeing on mousers search engine (am I right) ... if so use the catalog. the search is wacky

I use 22 awg or pc ribbon cable/jumper cable and in a pinch network cable (24 awg i think) I stay away from stranded wire and use solid wire. bigger awg = smaller wire