new to controllerism concept.

Default new to controllerism concept.

hello all,
    i'm new to the forums obviously and i think this is the appropiate place to post my question. i've searching and i can't find what i'm looking for...

how do i find out what latency im at by running this setup

oxygen 8v2
    macbook (2 ghz 2g ram)

into a presonus fire box?

i would like to ideally like to have ableton control traktor with 1 midi controller so have my midi controller control 2 apps at the same time. do i need a midi translator? i did some searches for this aswell...i would like any links shared to be for mac thx.

also is it possible to have 2 inputs (ie: 2 of the same setup:
    macbook
    midi controller

both going into a 3 channel stanton rm-3's mixer then into the presonus fire box?
    even perhaps the right cables.?
    i attempted to set this up with what i thought would be the right way but was unable to get any sound out on my sound system.
    any info appreciated thx in advance.

Some of these questions have been answered before, but ill help ya out

Latency is set by your sound card....personally i use 8ms with my firebox

as for Ableton controlling traktor....im not exactly sure what you mean. Normaly what people do is route traktor into ableton (because traktor is better for syncin beats and shit like that)

As for wiring, i can help you out there all ya like
    You say 2 inputs but you list a maxbook and controller? A Midi controller has no audio output. a Midi controller just controls the software. You sound will come out of your Firebox, which has 3 sets of stero outputs. You can do something where you have traktor go out 3 and 4 and ableton go out of 5 and 6 and then use a analog mixer to bring them into your set.

leme know whats up
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

thx for the quick reply.
    by ableton controlling traktor i simply ment routing traktor to ableton. i know how to with programs like massive or vsts but i dont understand how to do it with traktor. (the point of doing this routing is to have ableton to quantinize the beats? i saw someone mention osmething about how traktor is better for beat matching in another post is this true?

by 2 inputs i ment really there is 2 mac books and 2 controllers involves and 1 auido interface ( the firebox) and a 3 channel stant rm-3's mixer. im pretty sure i've got the right cables as i mentioned before but i couldnt get it configured properly so what is your suggestion?

also how do you set the latency time on the firebox?

The only way to find the true latency of your setup is to do a stereo recording with 2 microphones - place 1 microphone next to your speaker and another microphone next to your button. Then trigger an audio clip or cue point or something with the button while recording, the total latency will the time you hit the button to the time noise is made from the speakers - you will be able to measure this by looking at the wavform in a decent audio production program.

Quote Originally Posted by heathledger View Post
    thx for the quick reply.
    by ableton controlling traktor i simply ment routing traktor to ableton. i know how to with programs like massive or vsts but i dont understand how to do it with traktor. (the point of doing this routing is to have ableton to quantinize the beats? i saw someone mention osmething about how traktor is better for beat matching in another post is this true?

by 2 inputs i ment really there is 2 mac books and 2 controllers involves and 1 audio interface ( the firebox) and a 3 channel stant rm-3's mixer. im pretty sure i've got the right cables as i mentioned before but i couldnt get it configured properly so what is your suggestion?

also how do you set the latency time on the firebox?
    Traktor dose not (and probably will never) support vsts. Thats why so many people use ableton as well. Yea Traktor as MUCH better for beat matching. Do some searching dude, theres alot around these fourms.

Ok if there are 2 macbooks...you need two soundcards. You cant run firewire inputs into the firebox (The other input is for daisy chaining with recording shit). Then you will need an external mixer to comind the Two.
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

bentosan: thanks for the proper explaination of how to perfectly detect latency however i was looking more just for a numerical value it doesn't need to be 100% exact. i've been able to maintain good response and sound without any prior knowledge of how to check latency. also i dont have 2 mics at my disposal so it would be a little more tricky in my case.

krilikz: i understand that traktor does not use vsts. maybe you misread my question but what i was asking is if you can control the beat matching in ableton with the global quantinization or whatever. actually, my partner and i chose ableton over traktor because its bmp detection we found was off and beat matching was sometimes a bit off and we wanted a perfect match so any suggestions there aswell?

Quote Originally Posted by heathledger View Post
    bentosan: thanks for the proper explaination of how to perfectly detect latency however i was looking more just for a numerical value it doesn't need to be 100% exact. i've been able to maintain good response and sound without any prior knowledge of how to check latency. also i dont have 2 mics at my disposal so it would be a little more tricky in my case.

krilikz: i understand that traktor does not use vsts. maybe you misread my question but what i was asking is if you can control the beat matching in ableton with the global quantinization or whatever. actually, my partner and i chose ableton over traktor because its bmp detection we found was off and beat matching was sometimes a bit off and we wanted a perfect match so any suggestions there aswell?
    In Traktor you need to use beatgrids to get a good sync, don't let these beatmatching decide which program you want to use because both programs when used properly with beatmatch perfectly. Instead you should be paying attention to the kinds of things you can do in one program but not the other, I think Traktor has the best methods of either program for getting around audio material while Ableton takes large amounts of preparation time on the same song to do less. Ableton's routing/effects are massive leaps above Traktor and also Traktor also does not have any easy methods of having large quantities of single hit samples all organised.
    I Personally route my Audio from Traktor to Ableton to play upon the strengths of both programs.

Learn how to set beatgrids in programs properly to solve your beatmatching issues, the best way to do this is searching youtube for videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBzejpuGk5Y - Eans Goldens Traktor BeatGrid Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OMXPz8Z-sY - Nathan Ramellas Ableton BeatWarp Video

thx for the links bento this was some info i was looking for.