Once again: Effects all over the place...?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Once again: Effects all over the place...?

Hi all

As my recent thread on this matter got deleted due to the server problems, I am posting this again.

I am running Traktor 3.3.2 and use the VCI-100 SE.
    So at my latest gig I experienced some issues with the Traktor effects. At the beginning of the set everything was just fine. But as the time progressed and the effects had been used more and more times, they started to offset (drift apart). That is, the effect knobs on the VCI and the equivalent virtual knobs in Traktor went out of sync, aka. they didn’t align. The result of this was fx. an almost kill effect of all sound – to my big surprise - when I turned the beatmasher on, cause the knobs in Traktor weren’t all the way to the left, as they were on the VCI!
    I tried to correct the knobs in Traktor using the mouse, but it wouldn’t let me. They just jumped back to the original position when I let go of the mouse button.

The described problem also happened to the filter knobs (below the EQ’s).

In Traktor I have an effect panel for each channel, A and B.

After the set was done, I restarted Traktor, and everything was back to normal (that’s just freaking hard to do in the middle of a set ).

I think it has something to do with not resetting the knobs on the VCI all the way to the left, before changing the effect. But that just shouldn’t be a problem, right?

Anybody else experienced this, or have any idea how to solve the problem?
    /Cheers

Really? None of the proud vci-100SE owners has experienced anything like this?

And Bumpy Bump

Tech Wizard

Hi There,

Actually I have experienced this. 2 weeks ago while practicing a set, 1.5 hrs into it, the effects got all out of whack. I thought it was just me, MAYBE doing something weird i.e. using the high/low filter, after using a different effect, but forgetting to push the effect button to reset and engage FIRST.

I havent had a chance to test out again, whether it was me making a mistake or in fact a programmatic issue.

Anyone else encountered something similar?

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by dj_ajay View Post
    using the high/low filter, after using a different effect, but forgetting to push the effect button to reset and engage FIRST.
    This could very well be a part of the problem. I just cant understand that Traktor cant keep track of the knob possitions, even if you forget to push e.g. the filer engage button first.

Tech Mentor

I get the feeling that nothing went wrong in Traktor, but this was a user-error in that you used an effect, then switched your MIDI page or whatever and used the same knob again for another function. Then upon returning to the original MIDI page, your knob and the knob on-screen would not correlate.

IMO this is the biggest problem with MIDI pages

except that the controls he is talking about are not different on any midi pages. This really sounds like a Traktor problem. The hardware is fixed so any time it moves the connected knob moves in relation- they should never slowly drift apart. Now if they were different one time, and moving the hardware knob re-set it then thats normal.

Let me explain how the FX buttons work so you understand the techology behind this edition.

The Filter and FX sections are not seperate FX but all controlling a single effect slot. So, if you are tweaking the knobs of a echo, and then turn on a filter the knobs are no longer going to be in the same position on the software then they are on the hardware.

This is why. In order to make a filter work you need to do a number of things:

Turn the Q to to 55-60%
    Turn it on
    turn the wet dry blend to %100

Our filter button does all this for you. Try it out by changing any of those settings and then hit the filter button. It will re-set the knobs to a default position.

The other FX work the same way. Hitting the effect will reset all the knobs to a default state which may not match the current knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by eangolde View Post
    except that the controls he is talking about are not different on any midi pages. This really sounds like a Traktor problem. The hardware is fixed so any time it moves the connected knob moves in relation- they should never slowly drift apart. Now if they were different one time, and moving the hardware knob re-set it then thats normal.

Let me explain how the FX buttons work so you understand the techology behind this edition.

The Filter and FX sections are not seperate FX but all controlling a single effect slot. So, if you are tweaking the knobs of a echo, and then turn on a filter the knobs are no longer going to be in the same position on the software then they are on the hardware.

This is why. In order to make a filter work you need to do a number of things:

Turn the Q to to 55-60%
    Turn it on

Our filter button does all this for you. Try it out by changing any of those settings and then hit the filter button. It will re-set the knobs to a default position.

The other FX work the same way. Hitting the effect will reset all the knobs to a default state which may not match the current knobs.
    Yeah ok. This makes good sence. But it just dossent explain how my hardware and software effect/filter knobs could come out of sync, without me being able to bring them back into sync. According to your explanation, this shouldnt be possible, right? Or am I wrong?

Do you always reset your effect knobs to 0% and the filter knob to 50% after using an effect/filter?

I have tried some times (just made it happen again) when hitting the filter engage button after using another effect, that the Q value of the filter dosent reset to 55% but 25% or even less. This can give some rather unpleasent suprices. This shouldnt be happening right?

Also just made hitting the filter button almost kill the sound. This issent supposed to happen no matter how your knobs er set, right (as you said, hitting the filter button should always reset the filter values)?

I find sometimes if I do a filter sweep it doesn't always make it back to 100%.
    e.g I'll bring the filter knob to the left to cut out all the highs and then when I bring the knob back it's center position (which should be filter100%OPEN) it'll be at anwhere between 94 and 100%.
    This means sometimes when trying to slam the music back in at full fidelity, some of the highs are still filtered off - Which kinda spoils the effect!
    If this happens, I can only guarantee getting it to 100% again (fully open) by clicking on the knob within traktor...

Ok. It seems that thers quit a few of us who’s experiencing offsets and inaccuracies with the effects...

Quote Originally Posted by eangolde View Post
    In order to make a filter work you need to do a number of things:

Turn the Q to to 55-60%
    Turn it on

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
    So hitting the filter button or any other effect button should never actually turn the effect/filter on, before any knobs are touched, right?
    Hitting an effect/filter button should always set the amt. knob to 0% (no matter the actual possition of the matching hardware knob), right?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast