Audio glitches with Traktor Pro and Audio Kontrol 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Audio glitches with Traktor Pro and Audio Kontrol 1

The unthinkable happened three times at my last gig, and now I'm afraid to ever get in the booth again.

In the dead middle of a set, the audio went completely distorted, not just a crackle or a dropout, I'm talking garbled, static, digital nightmare piercing to the eardrum.

The entire room was silent (except for the boos and jeering), as I had to fumble for my ipod backup and reboot the computer. It happened once more at the end of the night.

Anybody had this happen, and anybody know why it did? I've had the occasional 2 second audio dropout, but this was different, and it couldn't be fixed without a reboot.

My setup is Traktor Pro 1.3, Audio Kontrol 1 with 2.0 driver, Windows 7 32 bit laptop 2.0 GHz dual pentium with 4 GB of RAM, Vestax VCI-100 controller, and WD Passport external drive.

I've used this same setup for quite a while with no issues until now. All visual effects in Windows 7 are turned off for performance, and I've always followed the Windows tuning tips to a tee from NI's website. They claim full Windows 7 support.

Tech Wizard

I've experienced this problem. The few times it has happened to me I think were due to the AK1 not being grounded. My house can be pretty dry in the winter, and I build up some decent static charges, which end with me getting quick shocks when I touch metal. So I always try to touch something else metal to discharge before getting my hands near my AK1.

Not sure if this is what's causing your situation, but the symptom you described sounds exactly like what I have dealt with.

I will say that I have been able to get sound running again by going into the settings in TPro, choosing my internal sound card, disconnecting, and then reconnecting my AK1, and then going back into the TPro settings and choosing my AK1. Hope this helps.
    DJ Setup: Traktor Pro 1.2, VCI-100 SE, Audio Kontrol 1, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, Dell Inspiron E1505
    Other: MC-909, MC-505, Ableton Live 8, Reason 3, ReCycle 2, Traktor DJ Studio 3, BCD2000, Yamaha KX25, Radium 49, Korg nanoKONTROL
    Check out my tech-house mix on Soundcloud: Trickin' Out Tha Bird

Tech Convert

Thanks, this does help, if this works it will be much quicker than rebooting. The DJ Support Line at NI had no clue, they suggested I buy a Mac. Thanks a lot!

Is the ak1 not grounded? I think all usb connectors are grounded..

Tech Convert

Hmm, good point. Could it be possible that my USB cable is no good or not grounding properly? I would order them from DJTT but I have two gigs this weekend.

This was definitely not just a momentary audio dropout or crackle, it was complete digital distortion/meltdown, but Traktor seemed to be running fine and nothing on the computer indicated a crash.

Anybody know of a reliable USB cable available via retail stores or computer store (Microcenter here in Cambridge, MA)

Yeah it could be the cable. Are you using an extraordinarily long cable?

Maybe the other poster meant the case is not grounded? Are you sure the cable stays inserted to the device and doesn't slightly slide out? I get that sometimes and it causes pops.

Tech Wizard

Yes, I do mean the case is not grounded. If you look on the back of turntables, or the Audio 8, there are spots for you to connect some sort of ground. My laptop has only a two-prong electrical plug (no traditional 3rd prong for grounding). I am certainly no electrical engineer, so there very well could be something going on behind the scenes that I am not up to speed on. That being said, even if the usb design does have some sort of ground built into it, I'm not sure how it would be working if it wasn't somehow connected to something that was working as a ground. I could certainly be off base here, but I know in my experience I have touched the case of the AK1, hear a pop, and next thing I know all my audio is extremely distorted.
    DJ Setup: Traktor Pro 1.2, VCI-100 SE, Audio Kontrol 1, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, Dell Inspiron E1505
    Other: MC-909, MC-505, Ableton Live 8, Reason 3, ReCycle 2, Traktor DJ Studio 3, BCD2000, Yamaha KX25, Radium 49, Korg nanoKONTROL

Yup, this is why you always have CDs ready to go. Even though Traktor can help you with Beat Matching that doesn't mean you shouldn't know how to do it if you need it. In the very least, you should have a CD with an extended mix on it so that you have time to restart and problem solve without a room full of people just staring at you in silence.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by B33SON View Post
    Yup, this is why you always have CDs ready to go. Even though Traktor can help you with Beat Matching that doesn't mean you shouldn't know how to do it if you need it. In the very least, you should have a CD with an extended mix on it so that you have time to restart and problem solve without a room full of people just staring at you in silence.
    I'm not sure what situation the OP was in, but what if his Traktor/laptop set up was all he had to play tunes on? Once that soundcard fritzed out, he was dead in the water. At least he had his iPod as a back up plan.

I hear what you are saying, especially regarding beat matching. But what if he is just playing a house party, and doesn't have the money to buy two different setups? (laptop/midicontroller/soundcard, and traditional mixer and vinyl or cd players.)

If you are looking at it from a professional dj standpoint, and talking about dj's playing for money, and at places that they have easy access to other gear to play on, then yeah, learning the basics on traditional gear seems like something that would make you a more well rounded professional. But for some that is not an option.

Tech Convert

My biggest complaint isn't the silence or the break. I can hit my backup mix within 20 seconds, it's the awful, screeching noise that the crowd hears when this glitch happens, and if I recall correctly, I wasn't even near the AK1. It's painful to the ears.

I added an additional 2 GB of memory so at least now Windows can use around 3GB (only a 32 bit operating system), will be replacing my USB cables, and crossing my fingers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast