The Bridge announced
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default The Bridge announced

Sounds pretty interesting. And it's free for existing Serato users!

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/0...ils/#more-9083

Tech Guru

Hmmm...open XML, I like the idea of that. Either way, cool stuff, but I would have much prefered to see a plugin which imports a DVS interface into Ableton itself, not just use it to edit mix tapes.

mmauve you are a lil wrong on this
    this is ableton inside serato!!!

«Put the Ableton Live Session View “inside” Serato: Here’s where things get in interesting. Rather than put Serato inside Live, we’re getting Live inside Serato – after a fashion. Ableton Live runs in the background. Integrated into the Serato interface (as seen at the screenshot at top) are all your Session View clips from your Live Set. Serato’s control – via audio input from vinyl or CDJs, or an ITCH control surface – manipulates the entire transport of the Live set.»
    awesome!!! exactly what I was expecting
    macbook/2 Stanton STR.150 /Axiom 25/AKAI MPD 25/Vestax vci-100/Serato sl3/Ableton live 8 suite/ krk monitor/Ecler Nuo 2.0/Akai mpd24/midiFighter /Audio 4/2 Pioneer cdj 800mk2/

Tech Wizard

Seems pointless to me, so youve got your clips in serato, which you can play in traditional style. why not just put the audio files from the clips into your library and load them from there? plus you need to run both programs, cpu heavy? it doesnt make sense to me, does anyone have any views on it?

Tech Guru

well for one you loose multi monitor capabilities, but you do gain more efficient space use on a single monitor when you do want to combine the two.

but there must be more in there than just making ableton an integrated glorified sample launcher to make this all worthwhile.

the export into live certainly seems cool. make an awesome live performance? export it into ableton for some more production love and get $$$.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by de_stilj View Post
    mmauve you are a lil wrong on this
    this is ableton inside serato!!!

«Put the Ableton Live Session View “inside” Serato: Here’s where things get in interesting. Rather than put Serato inside Live, we’re getting Live inside Serato – after a fashion. Ableton Live runs in the background. Integrated into the Serato interface (as seen at the screenshot at top) are all your Session View clips from your Live Set. Serato’s control – via audio input from vinyl or CDJs, or an ITCH control surface – manipulates the entire transport of the Live set.»
    awesome!!! exactly what I was expecting
    No...I'm not wrong actually, because what you just quoted is nothing like what I'm talking about.

I'm fully aware of what they mean, you basically turn Ableton into a background process for it to provide the arrangement and clip information via an XML script which Serato loads into it's interface according to what's being provided by the session arrangement.

Basically this is just one program piggy backing off another, using XML scripting to close the gap, as opposed to an embedded solution where the two are integrated into one clean interface. If you understand XML on any level, what "The Bridge" is providing really isn't that complex.

At the end of the day it's all about personal preference.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    well for one you loose multi monitor capabilities, but you do gain more efficient space use on a single monitor when you do want to combine the two.

but there must be more in there than just making ableton an integrated glorified sample launcher to make this all worthwhile.

the export into live certainly seems cool. make an awesome live performance? export it into ableton for some more production love and get $$$.
    Its not really a great live performance if youve gotta edit it is it? the only good thing i can see from this is maybe the added effect?if it even lets you?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djstaffo View Post
    Seems pointless to me, so youve got your clips in serato, which you can play in traditional style. why not just put the audio files from the clips into your library and load them from there? plus you need to run both programs, cpu heavy? it doesnt make sense to me, does anyone have any views on it?
    +1

This is pretty much what Im saying. What does "The Bridge" offer me that Traktor synced into Ableton via MIDI clock doesn't already?. Also, do things such as the APC20 or APC40 controllers work with the interface Ableton has put into Serato?.

Unless drastic changes have been made to Scratch/Itch, Traktor still seems to have the upper hand on customization and MIDI controller support.

By all means, maybe I'm missing a bigger picture here, but from what I gather, "The Bridge" is a mixtape editor, and a basic XML relay between the two programs.

Again, not shit talking the idea Ableton and Serato are putting out, just legitimately questioning what it brings to the table aside from not having to bounce between programs as much?.

Tech Wizard

Hmmmm, well, you can launch clips from inside Serato, you can use Ableton effects from inside Serato, you can use instruments from inside Serato.

So just calling it a mixtape-editor is a bit...

When you put Serato in Ableton you get the mixtape-editor, but it's the "other side of the bridge" that's interesting...
    VCI 300 - DELL XPS M1330 windows 7 - Traktor Pro - Itch

Tech Wizard

if you could use max for live with it then maybe it will be interesting, but it isnt doing anything new. but to be fair it is free if you own both programs so you cant really complain. the max for live thing my be good, you could build some freaky effects to mess with the audio or maybe add parts to a loop with a custom built synth. but you could still do all of that with traktor linked with ableton.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast