Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5 vs. KRK RP5 G2
    Tech Convert

Default Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5 vs. KRK RP5 G2

Hey guys,

Im getting my hands on studio monitors and I want to remain in the $300-400 (pair) range. The only two that jumped out at me in this range are the Mackie MR5s and the KRK RP5s. This will be my first pair of studio monitors and I don't want anything crazy. Im getting mixed reviews online for both, so if anyone has had first hand experience with them, please do share. I'll be using them for electronic music (house, tech house, etc).

Which one would you get?

Thanks again

Tech Wizard

As much as I really do like my KRK monitors, throughout any live performance mixing / studio mixing I have done with mackie products, they definitely have a very professional superior understanding of how to build their units. KRK's can sometimes seem a bit hollow but still pump out a good level sound, I just feel like the mackie's might be superior but if at all it would only be very slightly.
    The best advice I can give you is to find a music store with both monitors, if this isn't possible try checking out youtube reviews, its really hard to say in terms of studio monitors, i know both products should be pretty solid for beginning home mixing.

MR-5, no brainer.

KRK5s are tainted badly in the lower frequencies, where the Mackies are more neutral.

So for studiowork, I'd go for the MR5s.
    (If MR-5s are not available, try Fostex PM-04 or PM-05, or maybe even the new Behringer Studio monitors.)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Mackie!! KRK's are blah!!

Tech Convert

I guess the general consensus is the Mackie, and I was already leaning on those in the first place

thanks for the help!

Tech Mentor

There's a lot of good info about monitors on this price range here:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9443