[OT] London (pound) exchange rate idea
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default [OT] London (pound) exchange rate idea

Argh it was dificult to pick a title for this one.. but let me try to explain (and yes my english is getting so bad with all this Portuguese).

I'm planning on buying some gear in London this summer because of the lower rates (if its still low in the future). But since those exchange bloodsuckers always take their advantage it isn't really an advantage anymore if I have to change euro for pound and then ship it etc etc etc.

So I was wondering, is there someone out there who often visits the Euro-part of Europe and wants to change money? We could take some regular internet-based converter to change money 1:1 (i'm talking about +- 1500 euros) and ofcourse get a beer!

I hope my explenation makes sense..

why don't you buy online and pay in euros? could use paypal too. Shippping costs depending on the vendor aren't terrible.

Tech Mentor

Because I'm quite sure I'll be going to London with someone who has a postal service (wich saves me some on the shipping costs). And ofcourse webshops aren't stupid, they know what's going on with the rates too

After all it's like you say, I could still buy it in euros and have it shipped to me but I was thinking about combining both

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Dude reality check. London or actually the UK in general is very very expensive, especially for electrical goods.
    Mainland Europe is cheaper and North America is even cheaper.

Where do you actually live ?

Tech Mentor

At the moment I'm in Brasil but I'm based in Belgium. Last time I checked the biggest stores' websites it was up to 20% cheaper (1500 to 2000 euro's, can count).

Even (my favorite) German store are more expensive. Xone 92 seems to be ~10% cheaper. I'm not counting every penny but I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
    Last edited by dacuba; 01-15-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Yeah dude spending that kind of money you need to count every penny.

The Pound is actually at 1.08 to the Euro at the moment (i just went on holidays) so you arent gonna get to much from the exchange im afraid.

Tech Mentor

Well let me give you an easy example:

Xone 92 at..

..a well know UK London shop: 969 pound -> 1050 - 1099 euro (depending on the rates)
    Favorite german shop: 1190 euro
    Nearest DJ shop (Pioneer Pro Dealer too, my city): 1400 euro

Add 2 1D's and a Maschine to the basket plus a laptop stand and PERHAPS a Macbook Pro (I'm not sure where I'll buy that one) and those 'little' differences pay me some very nice dinners with my GF. (gives me credit to actually USE the gear)

But the summer is still a long time, I have got some months to figure the best way out. Where are you based?

dacuba, what UK store had Xone92 20% cheaper than which other german store?

I think you could save some cash if you're going to the UK
    cheapest UK was this one decks.co.uk that comes down to 1100 euros.. proof if you don't pay any type of exchange fee.
    That is about 100 euros 'profit' to thomann.de but the question is whether it's worth the effort.. Good luck

edit: you got me a little sooner while i was typing this lol

Im in Manchester mate (or nearby).

Yeah if your buying all that you may get a good deal.
    It always seems to me that UK is expensive but then thats usually compared to the US.

You may struggle to get all that stuff out of the country dude...!!!

Tech Mentor

Hehe yes the rate went a little bit up since last time I checked. Jeez dude, u feel me! I'm getting my prices from the same stores hehe.

The 20% was on the WHOLE deal, sorry for the inconvenience. And it's somehow certain that I'll go to London, that's why I'm asking these kind of things you know..

1D is 220 euro vs 277 euro wich is (57 x2) 114 euros of difference.. 100 at the xone, 100 for the 1D's, a couple of euros for the Maschine..

(it makes me feel like a homeless who counts every cent he has.. and I'm not even from Holland!)

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Im in Manchester mate (or nearby).

Yeah if your buying all that you may get a good deal.
    It always seems to me that UK is expensive but then thats usually compared to the US.

You may struggle to get all that stuff out of the country dude...!!!
    Manchester is far to 'pop' by hehehe.. yeah maybe I can get a discount on the total and then things get interesting..

Getting it out of the country can be partly solved with this friend having a postal service but I need to triple-check that before.
    Last edited by dacuba; 01-15-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast