Slightly OT: Planning an extended trip to NYC (from the UK!), can anyone help me out?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Slightly OT: Planning an extended trip to NYC (from the UK!), can anyone help me out?

Hey people,

I'm about to leave school this year, and I'm taking a year out before going to Uni, where i really want to further my music, and have fun with a bit of travelling aswell... One thing I'm mega keen to do is get away from the UK and just go somewhere miles away and work for a few months (maybe 6-7 months..)

I've been trying to look at various ideas for internships in Journalism and publishing, but they're looking very difficult to find - and it's really New York City where I fancy going the most. I absolutely love it there, it's such an incredible place! My cousin works there from time to time (he's a journalist) and was trying to get me an internship, or at least a contact or 2, but he hasn't got back to me as yet...

So, I thought i'd turn to my tech tools friends so any advice/input from guys here who live in NY would be awesome.

I'm a total noob at the whole work and living thing (as I've never had to do it so far) but I have lived away from home for a while now, just never abroad...

I want to know: How easy it would be for me to get a job there (as a 19 year old)? How expensive/cheap/easily i'd be able to accommodate myself, and live there? If I ended up going, could anyone help hook me up into the music scene??

Cheers guys, i'd really appreciate your comments

Belch x

Tech Convert

Well, journalism in general, and particularly in the states is going through some rough times right now. I have a friend in NYC that was just laid off from a media job (ad placement), and its pretty scary there now from what I hear. The publishing companies are bleeding money and laying off people left and right.

The other thing is, you know our legal drinking age is 21 right? And so the above ground music scene happening in bars and clubs is going to be unavailable to you (unless you do what many American students do and get a fake ID). NYC is the best place in the states as far as an underground and all age scene goes, but, even so lots is happening in legal 21+ clubs and bars . . .

Lastly, NYC is notoriously expensive (well, not as bad as London . You would be lucky to find a small room in a shared apartment (flat) in Brooklyn for $700usd. Have a look here: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/roo/ Try other neighborhoods too, but Brooklyn is probably your best bet.

All that said, NYC is a great place, I love it too, and if you really want to come visit I am sure you can make it happen!

nyc is very expensive to live in... may wanna try hopping to the other side of the creek to NJ and kick it with your boys at the jersey shore... =)

As a 19yo you will be asked for ID everywhere
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Manhattan is probably gonna be a no go if you want any actual space. Think about it this way. Eating in Manhattan is a LOT cheaper than eating in London, living in Manhattan is a LOT more expensive. That's how it's been explained to me, at least. Could be wrong.

Regardless, look in Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn and North Jersey. All offer easy and convenient access to Manhattan at, sometimes, half the cost for double the space. Look for room mates, etc..

The drinking age is 21+, and usually that's for entrance into clubs as well. However, there are exceptions to this (Pascha, Webster Hall, etc.) that have loads of 18+ nights, and lots of places have 18+ on Thursday nights, while the weekend is 21+.

It is expensive to live out here, but it is also doable if you're smart.

Getting a job is the hard part, though. Office/corporate work is fucking brutal right now, and general scut work (retail, manual labor) is hard to come by and doesn't pay well at all. I have a friend who is an assistant manager at a rather large retail store and gets paid $8/hr. When you consider what rent can look like that's kinda not a lot.

But yeah, you can do it, it's just hard is all.

Good luck.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

hmm.. That's the one thing i thought about.. I've just got over that hurdle in the UK by becoming 18, but I guess it's a totally different ball game in the states..

So does that mean that the music scene is basically an over 21s do? that's a bit rubbish..

Being from the UK, and having spent time in the States, I'm so keen to go work there for a while. The people and atmosphere is so much different, and in many ways a fresh change from Blighty, and it's somewhere that I'm very keen to live for a bit. Maybe NY's a bit of a long shot, but I just fell in love with it when I've been before. I also really want to check out 'Dubspot' for some reason, as it seems awesome..!

Also, I probably didnt explain myself too well on the job front. I was initially looking at journalism work experience and publishing, but I've decided that as long as I could break even with living costs, I'd work anywhere while I'm out there - just so I could gain some worldly experience, if you like.

It's very much at the embryonic stage at the mo, and I'd be most welcome to ideas from you guys. I'm very open about this - it's basically a year for me to fuck around with music and get out and do something between school and uni. Any advice or plans from our US bretheren would be welcomed with open arms (and a cup of tea)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I do love tea, and know some good tea houses in the area if you make it out here

Anyway, the music scene is not exclusively 21+ as there are places to go if you're 18+. you just have to look a lot harder than when you're 21. Journalism and publishing in the city is everywhere, but it's REALLY competitive. Like, painfully so. you could probably dig something up, maybe as a paid internship, maybe. It's just hard, is all. If you got the will, though, you'll find a way.

There are few cities worth it more than NYC, though.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Well the journalism thing would be a bonus, but more than anything I just really want to be able to be a bit more independent and live/work somewhere for a while, so given that I have a fairly good CV on the work front, and my Academics are in fairly good order - it'd be interesting to find a job. Even if it was in a music shop or something, and could break even with the rent...

Anyway, I'm very much looking for ideas at the moment, and open to other cities too. my languages are fairly rusty nowadays, so an english speaking nation would be useful.. hehe

It's kinda sad to hear about the music scene in a way.. Here at least it's not too tight, it's real easy to get in under age, and of course the festivals are aplenty and very open to young people. As a DJ, it was fairly difficult to get gigs under 18 at first, but mainly because people dont take you seriously - but with a bit of old elbow grease, it's not too difficult once you get the ball rolling. Is the 21+ law applicable to the whole of the States?

Tech Guru

Belchman. where you from man? Im lookin to do the states too. started another post on this subject. Im thinkin LA just cos I hear so many good things about it and its a warmer climate. Also the people are meant to be right party animals from what I hear, so always better if you're a DJ, my philosophy anyway. I've thought about NY but its just the fact its cold in winter just kinda put me off. You'd understand that being an englishman wanting to go somewhere hot is not uncommon. But anyway, Im kinda thinking the same as you man, just wanna go experience a different part of the world for a bit. So yeah, if you wanna go out there with someone Im all ears mate. Might be able to help each other out.

Peace

edit:

Im from London by the way
    Last edited by dodge; 01-17-2010 at 06:53 PM.

@dodge, sounds awesome dude! I'm from Newcastle, but yeah I'd definitely be up for something like that if it were feasable with timings etc.. hit me up with a PM or add me on facebook (www.facebook.com/djbelch) and we should chat about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast