Listening to ipod through DJ headphones?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Listening to ipod through DJ headphones?

Hey guys,

Recently ordered a bunch of equipment an the headphones (Ultrasone DJ1 Pro) were the first to arrive. I could only test them on my ipod and my laptop as the mixer is only arriving tomorrow. They sounded really really quiet and the bass was non existent, so I sent them back thinking they were faulty. The company who sold them to me just got in touch and said that they are working fine and you cant really use them with an ipod as the resistance is too low. Is this really the case? Im pretty sure ive listened to an ipod through sony mdrs and it sounded fine...

Thanks for your advice!

I sometimes listen to new mixes on my Ipod with my MDR 700's and they are loud and you can feel the bass good and proper, sounds like they are talking botal tollocks!

Tech Wizard

Fantastic! Probably shouldnt have gone for the cheapest deal I could find. However this might just be the way it is with the Ultrasones and the Sonys are different....anybody else out there with the Ultrasones? Just dont see the point in supplying an adaptor jack if they are not gonna work with smaller devices.

i use some home theatre type phones with my pod. great punchy sound but the 4 metre cord is a bit of a problem
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by RLV View Post
    Fantastic! Probably shouldnt have gone for the cheapest deal I could find. However this might just be the way it is with the Ultrasones and the Sonys are different....anybody else out there with the Ultrasones? Just dont see the point in supplying an adaptor jack if they are not gonna work with smaller devices.
    they give you that adapter jack so you can use it with devices that output hot enough to allow them to work fine with the ratings of the headphones, which the ipod obviously doesn't have.

You could get a headphone amp or even use a regular audio receiver as it will have a stronger headphone amp inside.

Tech Guru

To be fair ipods are generally quieter than they used to be. Its all health and safety issues due to dick heads who think ipods should be played at full blast or not at all, then moan when they go deaf! I have an old ipod mini and it is definitely louder than my new ipod classic. My friend went out and bought a pair of in-ear headphones for £100 (waste of money in my opinion), and pointed out the same things you said (no bass, not loud enough). I changed his EQ settings to bass boost and turned loudness on, he was happy after that.
    If you think your DJ headphones aren't loud enough on an ipod, just remember your mixer will go MUCH louder than an ipod. You should be fine with a mixer. Although on the flip side I've never heard of the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro. But to be honest I don't know much about DJ headphones as I have a pair of Sennhieser HD25's and never needed to consider anything else as in my opinion they are best out there. Just changed the ears pads to the velour ones and never needed anything else. Plus they are loud enough on my ipod too.
    If you can send them back and replace them for the sennhiesers do it! you wont be disappointed. They are on the MkII's now.

Tech Mentor

ipods sound rubbish anyway compared to audio coming out of an audio interface, and adjusting the eq settings leads to nasty distortion because it doesn't adjust the internal gain when you boost... I ended up sending mine back because I couldn't stand it :P

i´m using my technics rp-dj1200 for djjíng and also for my ipod nano and i can´t complain about one thing! works like a charme!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

RLV,

I have just got my DJ1 Pro and have not tried them in my iPod yet. I'll give them a go when I get home and post.

I agree with the above comments about the iPod sound quality. In the end, I got these Monster Turbine in-ear for the iPod, they were the only set I found they gave enough bottom. They are overkill on anything else and will distort the bass through my Audio 2 DJ...

Later, Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Quote Originally Posted by RLV View Post
    Hey guys,

Recently ordered a bunch of equipment an the headphones (Ultrasone DJ1 Pro) were the first to arrive. I could only test them on my ipod and my laptop as the mixer is only arriving tomorrow. They sounded really really quiet and the bass was non existent, so I sent them back thinking they were faulty. The company who sold them to me just got in touch and said that they are working fine and you cant really use them with an ipod as the resistance is too low. Is this really the case? Im pretty sure ive listened to an ipod through sony mdrs and it sounded fine...

Thanks for your advice!
    The resistance in your headphones is rather too high so that due to low voltages a tiny current runs. Try the set on a mixer and if it doesn't work then call the company again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast