Yo Yo A few Q's, I'm hopin' you guys know the answers!

Default Yo Yo A few Q's, I'm hopin' you guys know the answers!

Firstly, cheers for checkin out this thread. I'm also sorry if these seem obvious to you.

1) If I upgrade my Ableton Akai Edition to the full version, will I be able to install it on my mac and my other laptop? Or will I need to buy two licenses?

2) Im after a UC-33e, however I have only two USB ports on my MBP! So I was thinking of using the midi in on my Audio 8 to hook the UC-33 up, but then I will need 3 power adapters (APC40, MBP & a UC-33e) which seems some more carrying shit about! Is it possible to plug the UC-33e into a USB port and then for the Akai, use a USB to MIDI cable (if it exists) and plug that in to the Audio 8. Then I will only need a power adapter for the Akai and the laptop.

Lastly,

3) If I upgrade (using the NI service centre) to 1.2.4 will I loose my beat grids and cue markers etc? I don't want to have to do all that again!

Cheers!
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

re 3, make sure you backup your collection and everything is written to the tags. Then, in case you lose it, you can reload the collection and stripes, but you shouldn't. I didn't.

re 1: someone else can go through how many instals an Ableton license gives you cause I don't know.

re2 (doing this in circles, huh?) You can do what you're describing, I think. But doesn't the APC40 transmit more data than just pure MIDI to interact with Ableton? This I could be wrong on. You'd also need the MIDI Out to get the feedback from it, too. I don't know if they make USB to MIDI In/Out cables, but without the MIDI out you lose all the feedback into your APC40 which kinda defeats the purpose, right?

And carrying 1 extra wall wart won't suck that much, it's gonna be finding somewhere to plug it in
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Cheers for the reply! I didn't think about the USB needing to go to a Midi in and out, good point indeed.

Anyone know if you can use one ableton license on two computers?
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's