Traktor Pro - Safe to go from 1.2.2 to 1.2.4 ?
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor Pro - Safe to go from 1.2.2 to 1.2.4 ?

I got the note from Native Instruments to say that 1.2.4 was out. Turns out I was still a minor version behind, but after Googling I found a thread on here regarding 1.2.4 that suggested there were some issues (with AAC files) but also that it fixed some problems regarding effects.

So I'm wondering whether there's any compelling reason to move from 1.2.2 to 1.2.4. Am I safer to stick with the version I am currently on?

I'm hoping that someone who's gone through both of these upgrades can suggest whether I'm safe to do this?

Really appreciate any thoughts you have on this :-)

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Welcome.

The aac issue was in 1.2.2 as well so no change there. It only affects a minority of people (thats not to say it isnt a problem) and i cant isolate the issue as yet as i cant reproduce it and i am trying to.

Ive used 1.2.4 for about 10 gigs now, all 5 hour sets (some more) and recorded my Radio Mixes with it. Not a single issue

Are you Mac or PC.
    Are you controller or timecode.

Ive had no problems with Controller & Timecode on Mac.
    The user base seems happy with it. The CD lag is fixed and there is new timecode on the website as well.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    The aac issue was in 1.2.2 as well so no change there. It only affects a minority of people (thats not to say it isnt a problem) and i cant isolate the issue as yet as i cant reproduce it and i am trying to.
    I've seen it, but can't recall the circumstances. I'll try to recreate and see what the pattern is, if I find one.

Ive used 1.2.4 for about 10 gigs now, all 5 hour sets (some more) and recorded my Radio Mixes with it. Not a single issue
    OK, that's encouraging then

Are you Mac or PC.
    Are you controller or timecode.
    Mac user, controlling primarily with Hercules RMX, but also use an Akai LPD8 pad for cue points and a DaScratch for ... well, whatever ;-)

Thanks for the reply.

Can you explain what the issue was with the effects? I've not noticed a problem, but maybe the problem is just how I'm used to using it? If that makes sense

Tech Convert

Also .... interested in the book that you wrote, but given that I have read the shipped manual from back to front, I'm interested to know what the unique selling point is for someone like me. Gimme the 'elevator pitch'

<- also happy camper with 1.2.4 (Mac) Makes me wonder who did QA & beta testing on 1.2.3 though, delay fx was a disaster.

Tech Guru

1.2.4 so far seems to be what 1.2.3 should have been .. a step forward from 1.2.2 .. however the waveform issue is not yet fixed as Karlos points out .. which is very upsetting.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Quote Originally Posted by lloydi View Post
    Also .... interested in the book that you wrote, but given that I have read the shipped manual from back to front, I'm interested to know what the unique selling point is for someone like me. Gimme the 'elevator pitch'
    I just edited the german translation into English i didnt actually write it the author is Rainer G. Haselier .

The Bible goes into far more detail on subjects covered by the manual and also over things that the manual barely touches such as Midi.

There are a lot of tutorials so you dont just read how something works you actually do it with steps from the manual so that you learn first hand whats happening and why you do something to achieve your goal.

The Bibles approach is to take one area, lets say Sync and explain everything about Sync in one chapter starting with the basics and then going into detail. The Manual doesnt have this approach, much of the information is spread thoughout the book. With the Bible you can isolate one feature or function and learn about it in a way that you would actually use it in real life.

Whereas the Manual will tell you a what a feature does the Bible tells you what, how and why it does it. It also breaks down a few of the more dry explanations from the manual in a much more user friendly way.

Hes also managed to do this without it sounding like your a noob

I suppose the USP is that the Bible is written from the point of view of a Traktor user. Much of the subjects that are covered are ones that concern the Forum members the most.
    The author is a very active member of the forum and he has a very good understanding of what baffles Traktor users and also how solutions should be explained. I guess this practical approach is the USP.

Im still learning from it and i use it everyday as my reference on the Forum.

Having said all that i still maintain that the Official Manual (written by Native Girl - props) is required reading and should be everyones first port of call.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the info about the book ... but it doesn't seem to be available from the UK link. I tried the US link but that was also playing up:

Hmm, odd. Ill ask Rainer about that and get back to you.