Sore Backs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore Backs

Tech Guru

Default Sore Backs

The title says it all does anyone here suffer from sore backs while DJing. My back always gets super tense right in the middle between my shoulder blades. Does anyone else suffer from this and any remedies. My gear is all at a decent height so i'm not constantly bent over. Maybe I just need to stand back every once in a while and enjoy the mix haha.

Tech Guru

man, my back kills me all the time. Even after like an hour and a half of mixing, at home...

But I have moderately bad scoliosis. I'm also looking for remedies...

At home I suggest finding a good studio or drummer's throne. At the club you will have to invent a new dance that requires you to hold your arms outstretched, and do a swimmer's stroke moving on to a "touch your toes" stretch*. This new dance could incorporate jumping jacks and other stretches.

*remember to bend your knees when coming back up lest you want to stress your lower back.

Also, never rush or "jolt" your stretches. This can tear muscles and do more damage to connective tissues.

Tech Guru

Sounds to me like your DJ setup is at an improper height for your comfort. Try elevating your gear to around stomach level, it helped me a ton!

Yeah i got back problems... They stem from all dem years of lifting 8+ crates plus racks an speakers to string up in parties mid-80s - layte 90's...

Now pending on the venue, my back kills cuz sum of the club set-ups are crazy...

I ususally like to set-up my gear jus under chest level...

Now i jus move around between mixes...
    SOUND: BLACK ICE MOVEMENTZ
    GEAR: NS7FX, ITCH 2.1, AKAI MPK MINI (MAPPED), M-AUDIO OXYGEN 49 (PRO TOOLS), KORG NANOPAD (MAPPED)
    SPECS: MACBOOK PRO 2.6GHz, 4GIGs RAM, OSX 10.5.8 | MAC PRO 2.8GHz, 16GIGs RAM, P.C. WIN7
    APPZ: PRO TOOLS, ABLETON, LOGIC, CAKEWALK & THE GOD OF AUDIO APPZ > SOUNDFORGE

Yeah.....I am 2m tall.

My lower back always takes a punishing.

Its not that i stoop (which i also do) during my sets.....but i think it has something to do with my movements.
    I don't know what they really....zoned out and all, but its just a bounce really....keeping riddum.

But yeah.....definately lower back!

I think i might get one of them braces or belt type things that weight lifters use.

Maybe that will support it a bit?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

Man I know everything about lower back pains...
    I have a hiper-lordosis and two scoliosis one at my sore back and one at my lower back.
    What helped me a lot when I was from 13-19 years old was the RPG, here we call Reeducação Postural Global (Global Postural Reeducation), it's a physiotherapy that works with all your body and breath, not only separated parts of it.
    Look for a physiotherapist and try to discover if you have any deflexion (scoliosis) at your back. If you have any you will have to do some specific exercises to get that area more strong and still flexible.
    Right now I'm with some pain at my back when I stand still on foot too much time. When I go to clubs I need to keep on dancing all night long to be OK with my back.
    People who have this tipe of back deflexion can't have a sedentary life, so i recomend you practice soft-impact and flexible exercices like swiming, yoga, capoeira (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira)
    Last edited by V-Hoff; 01-21-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Tech Student

ironically i just saw this product in the cheesy SkyMall catalog on the plane http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...d=102155195&c=

could help, but probably not for the lower back stuff. I may pick one up...

Tech Guru

I used something like that some time ago, but it can cause even worse problems.
    Just think about it a moment. If you put this thing on, forcing your shoulders back, your muscles at breast will force it back and when they force it back they become stronger and even less streechable.
    It will make things worse...
    What you need to do is some gim to make your back muscles become stronger then your breast muscles. And your breast muscles need to be more flexible then your back muscles.
    When you get this, your posture will be better and the pain will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    Sounds to me like your DJ setup is at an improper height for your comfort. Try elevating your gear to around stomach level, it helped me a ton!
    Had the same problem. Raised my table and the pain went away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast