Gear Enquiry CDJS vs vci-100
    Tech Wizard

Default Gear Enquiry CDJS vs vci-100

Hey,

I recently went on a trip to hong kong/singapore as well as going to many australian summer festivals where I noticed that a lot of DJs are using CDJs (cds or with serato etc) compared to midi controllers.

I'm about to purchase all of my gear (I'm a beginner) and I want to know what is the better route to go down.

I had my mind set on a vci-100, but after seeing 90% of DJs (a lot of them who I admire - MSTRKRFT, soulwax etc) using CDJs, it got me thinking...

Any help would be splendid

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

A lot of those guys started on that gear, and got comfortable, and the hassle of changing is a lot bigger than the benefits of having higher levels of technology.

You should use what you find to be the most convenient for your uses, and with the work flow you can maximize. *shrug*

Personally, I think it's pointless carrying around decks, and I think it's pointless carrying around CDs. But that's me. I find the advantages of the gear I own FAR outweigh the advantages of CDJs.

But I would never make an investment merely because others are using it. Even if you admire them, it's not like a musical instrument, where vintage guitars actually have different components and sound different. Spinning a set on the VCI-100 and on two CDJ-1000's will sound as good as the files you're using, not equipment, everything else being equal.

So, decide for yourself, really. There are ups and downs to both. I started on cd decks (not CDJ's as I didn't have $2000 to blow) and moved to digital vinyl and now use controllers. I would never go back.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

I started on cdjs too, then moved to vinyl (no timecode) for a few years, and finally I'm into controllers.

I think using a timecode cd/vinyl without a controller is like using your laptop as an ipod... play/pause/go forward/backward... you loose all the fun of hot cues and fx control. Unless you're scratching there's no reason to use a timecode if you're using your laptop anyway.

I started on vinyl, moved to cdjs and now use traktor (well, I am trying to use traktor). I sold my cdjs so I could have a grown up living room and I still miss them, there's nothing like using 'traditional' means to play tunes and most clubs have them (I am yet to play out with a lappy) but the future is laptop mixing and if you want more bang for your buck it's the way to go, especially if you already have a laptop of course. There's a lot of snobbery surrounding traditional means to dj and laptop djing which you should try to ignore, its pointless.

Look at the pros and cons of each medium and go from there. It really is a personal choice.

good luck.,

Tech Wizard

thanks guys, yeah I already have a sweet laptop and I'm also really interested in digital side of producing etc. I think I might go the vci-100 way... seems a lot more creative

Tech Guru

It's really an argument of creativity vs. feel. The feel of a CDJ is unparalleled, and I've used most every controller on the market to try to match it. Even then though, you can't really compare the VCI-100 to a CDJ, they're in separate leagues all their own.

As a guy who sold a pair of MK3's to go the controller route, something like the EKS Otus Raw, or the Numark V7 are viable comparisons.

Or you can have your cake and eat it too by getting the CDJ-900 lol.

Even then though, you can get pretty creative with CDJ's

Tech Wizard

I have a VCI 100 in perth you can demo, but you have to be quick, I'm off overseas this coming week.....

hi i live in singapore and yeah especially in singapore people here are still hard on cdjs and tts but as for me controllers are something im very comfortable with and i wont jump on the bandwagon of using cdjs just because others are using it and if u are not using em then you cant dj. well its a matter of what ure comfortable with actually. and im standing firm on using my controllers.

As I've mentioned over on http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10589 (explained more there) I don't think people starting out should blow a load of cash on either really (although a controller is the more financially viable option)

I'd recommend grabbing a v cheap turntable/mixer combo with a handful of vinyl, and see how you get on with that. Depending on how you feel about various aspects you can decide whether DVS or CDJ's might be for you, or whether controllers might be more your style.

Having started like many peeps above on turntables, worked my ass to the bone to get some CDJ's and finally to controllers I'd say it depends on the individual

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux#13 View Post
    i wont jump on the bandwagon of using cdjs just because others are using it
    Too bloody right!
    Last edited by Lantau; 01-23-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    MacBook, Vestax VCI-300 with Serato Itch
    www.djlantau.com | www.youtube.com/djlantau | www.soundcloud.com/djlantau

Tech Convert

CDJs have been around for number of years, people have gotten used to them and they have become common place. Controllerism is still a new concept, I say get on it, learn your trade - do something different and get yourself out there. I've gone from 1210s, through to Pioneer CDJs and I'm now thinking about ditching these and going fully controller!