Sharing mixes - Soundcloud? Not exactly DJ-friendly on pricing
    Tech Convert

Default Sharing mixes - Soundcloud? Not exactly DJ-friendly on pricing

OK, so I've seen people using Soundcloud for their mixes and so I thought I'd give that a look. I've only recently started to get back in to mixing and have hosted a few of my new mixes (digi DJing) and a selection of the older vinyl-only mixes on Mixcloud (gratuitous link goes here: http://www.mixcloud.com/lloydi/).

The thing is, I want to go to SoundCloud but bugger me it's expensive! Given that the minutes allowance that they state is total, not per month, even 12 hours won't last long (http://soundcloud.com/premium). I honestly can't understand how DJs can justify paying for the full business version of €500/year.

Am I missing a trick?

I wonder if people upload the mixes but take them down from time to time and replace with newer ones so as not to go over allowance.

I guess my outlook is different re cost - I'm doing this for fun, not for the money. I haven't DJd in years - it was 20 years ago that I was spinning rave tracks at a local club on a Saturday night. Now my typical audience is 1. And it's a dog. And she hates my music. ;-)

I may just end up hosting the mixes on my own site with a custom player - that way I can ensure that allowances are not an issue, can provide downloads as mp3/ogg and have a streaming player too.

Anyway, appreciate thoughts on this

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, I take down old mixes and put up new mixes. I was going to buy into it, but I think it would be easier and cheaper to just get a custom player and web hosting, y'know?

I love Soundcloud a lot, and I can totally understand their cost system, but I just can't justify it. If I was making more money doing this, or had more money lying around, I would do it. Though, to be fair, the monthly cost really isn't that high for their service. More than web hosting but you do get a LOT more.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

As a DJ I think the minute restrictions on soundcloud are just too much. I've moved to using http://letsmix.com and I'm fairly happy. As far as I can tell there's no hosting limits. We will see how that lasts, but it has tonium, pioneer, and other big industry names behind it. It's also much better with tracklists. You can tell it where each track starts so that the player will correctly identify the track playing in the mix.

At this point my suggestion to all DJ's is letsmix for mixes, and soundcloud for original tracks. I'd really like to know what other people think of the site. I'm pretty much sold on the service, but it seems like everyone else is too busy with soundcloud to even care.

Here's the latest mix I did for an example.
    http://www1.letsmix.com/mix/27980/self_indulgence

"I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Yeah, I take down old mixes and put up new mixes. I was going to buy into it, but I think it would be easier and cheaper to just get a custom player and web hosting, y'know?
    Exactly. I already have the web space and bandwidth, it'd just need me to build the pages (just as well I build web stuff for a living, eh?)
    Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I love Soundcloud a lot, and I can totally understand their cost system, but I just can't justify it. If I was making more money doing this, or had more money lying around, I would do it. Though, to be fair, the monthly cost really isn't that high for their service. More than web hosting but you do get a LOT more.
    The monthly cost is not high if you have a limited plan ... but if I wanted 12 hours - that's 5-6 mixes from me, then it's prohibitively expensive.

Anyway, a couple of other suggestions on here to look at (and I'll probably build my own pages ... AND host on mixcloud too!)

Tech Mentor

SoundCloud isn't ideal for DJs. It's a lot better for producers who are throwing up original tracks and makes a lot more sense in that case.
    Co-founder, Promoter and DJ for Easy Love, an independent promotions company for dance events in Edmonton, AB.

Check out our blog for more information - www.easylovedance.com.