Updating from "Test" Version of Traktor 3.3 to Fully Licensed Version of 3.4
    Tech Student

Default Updating from "Test" Version of Traktor 3.3 to Fully Licensed Version of 3.4

Hi All Thanks for Looking, I just arrived to this forum.

Before getting serious about something, I sometimes try before I buy (we all know how that is). Anyways, I have a version of 3.3 and it sometimes glitches out on me. About a year and a half ago I decided I needed it and bought Kore 2 and Komplete 5 along with Traktor 3.X.

I never got around to installing the legit copy of Traktor, but the not so legit sometimes glitches when I am loading tracks or if I use the find function. Or if I have the whole collection open and I go sort by BPM or artist and it will mess up the entire

So here's my issue. I have a lot of playlists, etc. stripes... and I don't want to lose them, but I want to try 3.4.0 because I hear it's pretty much the best and most stable one.

How would anyone recommend doing it? Copy the Traktor directory on the root of my Home folder as a bak? Use Appzapper first and then install the CD I have and then authenticate and download the updates from NI? Do they let you choose which version when you are licensed or is it only the latest (I have read good things on 3.4.0 not as encouraging on the other ones)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am starting to play out now, next week first gig, so my bedroom playing glitches aren't acceptable anymore.

BTW I have a Firebox Presonus and a Vestax-100 and a MacBook 2.2ghz with 3gb RAM

Does anyone else have the issues of the glitches while loading or looking for tracks?

Thanks~!

NIO

Any recommendations for how I do it? Thanks so much for your time.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Welcome...

Well the glitches cannot b equantified on a cracked version of Traktor. These versions are butchered and prone to glitches.

If it helps i used Traktor 3 (all versions) for 3 years and only had 2 crashes. One because i accidentally dragged an 11 hour playlist onto Deck A and Traktor just gave up and one time due to a corrupted MP3.

Traktor 3.4.1 on a MBP with a VCI and Firebox was exactly the same setup as mine for a long time. It works a charm. ROCK SOLID.

Now first thing to decide is whether you want to convert you collection to the Unicode standard that 3.4.1 uses. All versions prior to this are non-unicode.
    Once the collection is converted you cannot go back.
    A Unicode collection can be imported to Traktor Pro should you upgrade.

First job is to perform "Write Tags ASYNC" on all your files in the Traktor Browser on your current Traktor. Best way is to highlight all tracks and do it rather than using the drop down menu on the collection node.
    This writes your tags to the actual files.

To install your 'legit' version you should make a backup of the snide version.
    Backup the main folder that holds the Stripes/Playlists and Collection.

Login to the SUpport site and download the Installer you want.
    Before you start Traktor copy over (and replace the existing) Stripes folder , Playlists Folder and Collection.nml

Start Traktor and import you Music Folder and Traktor should auto import the Collection that you pasted in the main folder.

You should be up and running after that.

Oh and last thing to do is delete that fricking torrent version and stop seeding it in your Torrent Client

Tech Student

Hi Karlos,

Thanks so much for the response. I was never seeding, that was two years ago, but anyways, just for the update (I don't have internet where I live in the mountains in Costa Rica, great for music production, not so good for forums).

Anyways, yesterday after posting I downloaded a demo version of Traktor 3.4.1 and then installed it last night. It only gave me 30 min to play (it's kind of cool if you use keyboard commands cuz you can still keep mixing with it with your vestax after the 30 min. are up).

Before getting back home last night to my vestax & soundcard I found this nice quote from a NI forum and followed it's advice which is similar to what Karlos said

"
    ...- don't upgrade your collection and settings files if you aren't sure about the update. Copy your traktor three folder and rename the original Traktor 3.3. When traktor 3.4 starts up it will grab the Copy which is labeled Traktor 3 and use that leaving your settings for 3.3 or 3.2 or whatever build youve got going -- alone. Keep in mind that changes you make under 3.4 to the Traktor 3 folder will not be reflected when yo go back to use your 3.3 folder. When you want to change back -- label the folder you ve been using under 3.4 Trakor3.4 and then rename the 3.3 folder Traktor 3. Now when you open traktor 3.3 applicaiton everything is like it was. Just be careful while opening versions -- if you get the "hey this is going to screw your old shite notification you can cancel out of it and use it in read only mode."

Anyways, I just got back to the net and found this response and all day I did several tests of where I would get the glitches (i.e. sort by BPM in a 10,000 song collection) and/or ITunes collections and after 5 1/2 hour sessions didn't get one glitch.

Well, now I am registered with full access and running 3.4.1 and will report back, I am pretty sure it will be rock solid, wish I would have updated a year ago!

Do you recommend I just dump the old bad/test one now (just drag it from applications into trash?) Kind of afraid to use Appzapp on it.

All I can say is so far Traktor 3.4.1 seems super stable and amazing.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Im glad you got it all sorted dude.

For what its worth Traktor 3.4.1 is ultra stable. I guess this is one of the reasons that people dont move to traktor pro. 3.4.1 is a great program.

Ive never used Appzapper so i cant say but i would definitely get rid of your previous install. Its caused glitches before and it will only cause problems in the future.

Once youve got rid of the crappy install you should make a full backup of the new one .
    You can simply just copy and paste the existing Traktor folders into another main Folder called TRAKTOR BACKUP. You dont need to rename them just copy into a new main folder.

Now that you have 3.4.1 installed you now have the Unicode Standard Collection and you should find Traktor much more stable.

K

Tech Student

Thanks again, at a net cafe. Now, good advice, this morning when I rebooted I had Traktor 3.3 auto start (as it's programmed that way on my mac to do), then it went in and went into my 3.4.1 and attacked it. So luckily I had backed the folder deleted the now attacked one by the old 3.3 and now i have deleted the app, the old folder and I will follow your advice and bak the one I just restored.

Pura vida de Costa Rica!