New Music --- Where the hell do you guys get it?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Music --- Where the hell do you guys get it?!

I've done everything (almost) to set myself apart from my competition, but still I sometimes feel like I'm behind in the DJ game. I hear bangin' tracks played by other DJ's and I'm like "Hell Yea! That one will be in the next set for sure!", which is fine, BUT, they ALWAYS get these bangin tracks waaaaaay before I hear about them. If the track is good, then of course I'll play it, but I want to be that guy who gets that track before anyone else knows about it. I mean, by the time I've heard it and start to play it, the track is old news , this doesn't ALWAYS happen, but I want to play the track when it's fresh, not when its been spun to death... Ya dig?

So, my question to you guys is, do you ever feel this way? and if so, what are some resources that you utilize to combat it? (I.E. - Blogs, forums, websites, etc.

P.S. - If it makes a difference, I generally spin, Top40, house and electro stuff...

-Bence
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

You are always gonna have problems with those genres mate, as they are the most predominant ones out there. Most guys will trawl Beatport, the same blogs etc for their tracks, so there's no escaping being exposed to basically the same tunes, unfortunately.
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Top40s nature is BEING old news. The others, trawl myspace-artists-sites and keep your ears open.
    I mix stuff on my things...

Tech Mentor

Browsing trough some old Essential Mixes = gold. I've found a lot of tracks who are pure diamont wich I've never heard before. (Julien Jabre - Swimming Places from Martin Solveigs' EM for example)

Tech Guru

check out http://hypem.com/ .. or the music link in my sig.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

i use http://www.junodownload.com/

picked this up off there when it came out back in september, heard it on radio1 for first time last week. not the greatest example, but you get my point

they also had 'riverside' by sidney samson (pre vocals for radio version) on there this time last year, before it was it all over the place.

take a look through the electro/breaks and electro house sections, there's a few things i've seen there before hearing them elsewhere.
    Last edited by BradCee; 01-25-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

I use Beatport mostly. if you WANT to play the same stuff as everyone there is charts, if not, you just go to the genre you want/search for a label you like, and browse through the newest releases (still, some people will have these). Then you find songs you havn't heard, and you can get those. The amount of music being played, versus the amount being released is quite small, so, there are always bangers hiding. However, sometimes it is good to play songs that are popular, as you get the shallow crowd involved.

+1 for hypem

Also in the UK late night radio dj's usually play the next big tracks/remix etc
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

The Record store (if you live in a large city) is still the best place to purchase/find out about new tracks. If your town doesn't have one sign up to new release emails from websites like phonica records and Juno.

Most of the good house producers still only release stuff on vinyl so you are gonna still have to buy records then record them.
    Next Curious People party with KYLE HALL!! Details HERE
    ----------------------------------------------
    www.curious-people.com
    Macbook Pro///Traktor Scratch Pro

Hypem is gold!! Great site - nice one
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast