Hercules DJ MK2 Vs M-Audio X-Session Pro

Default Hercules DJ MK2 Vs M-Audio X-Session Pro

Hello there!

I want to start off some mixing and I've come across these two controlers.
    Which one of them do you reckon?
    I have very little knowledge of mixing and just want to learn and have some fun for now, and later we'll see!
    The main thing that makes me consider the hercules one is the fact it works as a soundcard and you can plug in phone.
    I work on a macBook pro.

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by amarelo View Post
    Hello there!

I want to start off some mixing and I've come across these two controlers.
    Which one of them do you reckon?
    I have very little knowledge of mixing and just want to learn and have some fun for now, and later we'll see!
    The main thing that makes me consider the hercules one is the fact it works as a soundcard and you can plug in phone.
    I work on a macBook pro.

thank you.

Sup amarelo - I own the Hercules MKII and bought it because it had a built in soundcard, I liked the jog wheels, and figured that on its 2nd version, most kinks should have been worked out. My Verdict - It's a piece of sh*t. It's poorly made(actually broke after about a year), the Hercules control software that it brings looses its settings when you shut down, and the instructions are not very clear. Meanwhile, it wasnt cheap ($300 at the time). Save up some more dough and get a VCI 100 - Its the best one out there, plus you'll have tons of support from this awesome site!
    Thanks,

Marco
    www.speakerfreaker.com
    downtempo goodness
    -------------------------
    2x Technics SL1200 MK2
    Pioneer DJM 3000
    Apple Macbook(OS/X 10.4)
    Traktor 3.2
    FinalScratch2

I have a lot of love for the X-Session Pro.

It'll get you started, wean you from using the mouse and with some hacks and Bome's remaps it'll get you to a moderately complex level of DJing. Plus you'll learn a bunch of MIDI along the way.

Cheap, reliable, I recommend it as an entry level device (so long as you don't care about scratching).

Welcome to DJTT!

I also have both: Hercules & X-session Pro . I would go with the pro and get ur-self a decent sound card. Save you cash & buy a VCI-100 to match you mac book pro.

Mac Book Pro + X-Session Pro is like driving a Ferrari with 89 Octane gas (Cheap stuff)
    Last edited by JesC; 09-24-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: forgot to welcome the cat!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

go for m-audio x session pro just buy a souncard like the maya 44 and i bet i would be better and for less of what ur going to pay for....the hercules....welcome to the forum and dont buy anything expensive if u just want to give it a try the x session pro is a awesome and reallly really good midi controller and is CHEAP

also get the mixx sofware thats free here is the link....oh i just remember that the x session come with torque LE

http://www.mixxx.org/ this is the link lol i forgot to put it
    Last edited by luigislaperig; 09-24-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    I have a lot of love for the X-Session Pro.

It'll get you started, wean you from using the mouse and with some hacks and Bome's remaps it'll get you to a moderately complex level of DJing. Plus you'll learn a bunch of MIDI along the way.

Cheap, reliable, I recommend it as an entry level device (so long as you don't care about scratching).
    could you please post some links to the hacks you are speaking of? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    could you please post some links to the hacks you are speaking of? thanks
    Erm, I have a Bome's rule that turns a CC into a highpass/lowpass filter (left is lowpass, right is highpass, center detent is off), and another that remaps both outside sliders for repitching tracks, mapping the range to +/-2 semitones and adding a center "shelf" of zeros to make returning to the default pitch easier.

Oh yeah, and this rule set that turns the left and right "nudge" keys into loop length selectors depending on whether the loop-drop key is held down:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386

MIDI hacks, y'know? Always meant to write up those other two, but nobody seemed the slightest bit interested in the loop key hack so I kinda lost momentum.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 09-25-2008 at 07:51 PM.

the xsession has done me right only 60 bucks and has been through a massive amount of parties, got tequila spilled in her one night, dried her out and worked like a charm.

I love it to death
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

after alot more research i will say go with traktor a 100 bucks now, xsession pro 60, and a oxygen 25 key, find one on ebay for like 50. with that set up you can mix and also do cue point juggling and more knobs to controll more things, then if you like it get the vci and a better soundcard
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM