DJ worldmap
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DJ worldmap

Tech Guru

Default DJ worldmap

I have only been getting into becoming a DJ for less than a year. So I quite remember the first days of trying to figure out where to go what to do and how it all works. Obviously finding DJTT was the best thing that happened along the way.

However while I appreciate this virtual community I really wished that there would have been some way to physically meet with like minded people. I seized the opportunity of being a web developer and started emailing with Ean. Coincidence enabled us to meet in Berlin last May and then again in late September, where we discussed the idea of a google maps application where all the DJs of the world could register.

Things ended up being delayed on either my or Ean's side a few times, but thanks to having a "hackday" budget at my employer (if you need web application development in Switzerland .. we are the best, not kidding) and finding 2 motivated co-workers we put together the initial framework for an application. I refined things a bit more over christmas break. There are still a few things that need to be coded but right now the key thing is to get feedback on how it should all work.

Ean has been kind of slumped with Midi Fighter and NAMM. So we decided that there is actually no point in keeping this secret and trying to design the silver bullet between the two of us, when there is such a great community that we can tap in which will become the core of the user base for this application.

I have put together a short screencast to demo the current state of the development:
    http://screencast.com/t/OWE4YTAxND

The key questions are therefore:
    1) What are the kinds of fields you would want to see stored for users, events and stores?
    2) Should we even have stores and/or events on there?
    3) By what would you want to be able to filter the markers on the map?
    4) How should users authenticate? Facebook connect? Forum login? OpenID?
    5) How should content be maintained? Should anyone be able to fix event or store? Only the person who created it (there should then probably be some way to notify that person)?

Obviously this application if successful might bring with it additional things people might want to see, like comments and such. But for now we should KISS.

So some URL's that you might want to look at (especially if you are the developer type):

Current state of the development:
    http://code.google.com/p/djtt/wiki/worldmap

The current database structure (might be a bit cryptic for some of the you):
    http://code.google.com/p/djtt/source...ine/schema.yml

FYI: The entire app is coded in symfony 1.4 using the Doctrine 1.2 ORM and YUI for javascript love.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Wicked idea Lukas... well done.

Will look over your questions and reply but my first impression is that this will be a great resource.

K

Tech Guru

I agree with Karlos,
    And if you need any Oracle Database support i'm the guy (but you prob wont need any )

Tech Guru

Hehe .. SQL DB's is my main area of expertise .. I need frontend development help more ..
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Sorry but I am just too short of time to helpout...

Again family life keeping me from this cool stuff.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

Well the primary thing I need is just feedback. Since its now 2010, we have a new hackday budget for this year and I have reduced work hours to just 28 hours a week. So I should be able to get this to a useable version. I just need to know the answers to the above questions, so that I dont have to change everything because people want this or that.

Okee... Just another idea.... Hook this up to GPS coordinates of your cellphone? (Go.walla or something a like? If you want to transmit/publish your GPS, than have your cellphone 'publish' your coords to the worldmap. )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Tech Guru

well there are various services like google latitude that provide these sorts of features .. and i even already added it to the nice to have section on the google code site a few weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    well there are various services like google latitude that provide these sorts of features .. and i even already added it to the nice to have section on the google code site a few weeks ago
    Well, I did not think this was regarding cell phone entries.

Looks cool. Here is my first few thoughts

I would prefer to use my town and not my address (as a option).

I will not use facebook. sry

Maybe if you do get integrated with djtech tools forum, if you can get stuff from that database, you could get our existing location data. There could be a check box on our user cp options right where we enable our show location in forum option, it would say "show me on da map yo"
    Last edited by kaleaf; 01-26-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast