Soundcards - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soundcards

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Dude Im still unclear about why people say they use more than one card in the booth.
    well what do you use your Audio 2 and Presonus Firebox for specifically so I can get an idea

Tech Mentor

Maybe because you need the pres, or maybe because you need more i/o... or if you are an audiophile you may use a better soundcard as a master digital clock. Although I doubt any of the mentioned is good enough to do that (fastrack, audiofire, etc).

I wouldn't use a ni soundcard for production. I'd opt for better brands like RME, echo, or apogee.

And I wouldn't bring my RME FF 400 either to a gig unless it's really necessary to have optimal audio quality.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, I don't think even the OP knows why, probably cause it doesn't make any sense.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    well what do you use your Audio 2 and Presonus Firebox for specifically so I can get an idea
    Well they were all bought at different times.

I got the Presonus when i first got Traktor. I was still using vinyl/cds and Traktor was just a sideline as a portable library. Didnt think id use DVS so i bought the presonus cus my pal has it and it is FireWire.

Then when i got totally into Traktor i bought Traktor Scratch with the Audio 8.

So i use the Presonus with my VCI 100 at some gigs.

I use my Audio 8 when im gigging with DVS.

I use my Zero 4 at home or if i get chance to gig with it i dont need the Audio8.

I use the Audio 2 when gigging at small places or random gigs where i need to pack light.

3 different types of gigs, 3 different cards for the right job.

Tech Guru

I dont mean to be a pain I just want to know stuff for future reference

How do you connect your Presonus with your VC1 100?
    How do you connect your Audio2 to your set when packing light?

Thanks =D

the firebox is firewire. it connects to the firewire port on the computer. the vci-100 connects via usb. it is a midi controller, completely independent of the audio.

when he uses his audio2 he is connecting it via usb, with the vci-100 connected to a different usb port same idea vci is only midi.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    the firebox is firewire. it connects to the firewire port on the computer. the vci-100 connects via usb. it is a midi controller, completely independent of the audio.

when he uses his audio2 he is connecting it via usb, with the vci-100 connected to a different usb port same idea vci is only midi.

so he uses it to improve sound quality and connect other necessary stuff (basically like a mixer in a way)

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Your not being a pain mate. Just hungry for knowledge, i can appreciate that.

The VCI setup is the same for the Presonus and the Firebox in essence.

Traktor is in Internal Mixing mode.
    VCI controls Traktor completely via USB
    Traktor Outputs :
    Main to Presonus outputs 1&2 go to a channel on the club Mixer.
    Monitor/phones to Presonus outputs 7&8 (headphones plug into the Presonus).
    Presonus connected via FireWire.

For the Audio 2 its the same but using channels 1&2 / 3&4. Connected via USB.

The soundcard separates the channels so i can monitor one deck in the headphones and have the other going out of the main system. Internal soundcards should not be used for DJing the quailty is not good enough plus you cant split the channels (well you can but its either Mono or a pain in the ass).

Another good thing about the Presonus is that it has Midi in so i can have another controller attached like the Faderfox.

Easy peasy.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 01-26-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12