What to use in a set?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to use in a set?

I was just thinking about what tracks to play at a mates party next week (first time out of the bedroom :eek and remembered hearing Grand Master Flash saying a good DJ plays rock, hip hop, funk, house, old and new. I first got into music through hip hop but now have a good collection of varying genres of music and of varying ages, but having such a selection bring about a problem...

What to use?

I know it's always useful to select a good amount of song that I might play, but what would you say is a good amount of old/new/perhaps unknown songs for party goers, for me to play?

Do you guys play a lot of old stuff, or do you try to keep spinning he newest stuff that is coming out all the time?

Rihanna, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, there's plenty of choice out there!
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

That was really useful thanks, Pepe.

sorry couldn't resist:

I remember Armin van Buren saying that a good DJ spins trance all night, and while we are at it I remember Extrawelt saying the best DJs are pure tech-house and techno.

also, something useful:
    the club remixes to some songs are better for parties when they are really cracking already

Tech Guru

i play more old stuff. mainly because the other guys already play the new stuff.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

I'm doing a mates engagement party next week, never done parties or catered for top40 either, but I'm about there with the majority of classic of most genres, check out radio station playlists, and just google stuff like best motown/soul/funk
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Yeah got plenty of remixes, I guess being my mates I can mostly play what I would want to hear as we have similar-ish tastes, I'm just worried about playing too many songs they might not know, as they aren't as open to things other than top 40 lol.

@lsmith: I might just go down that route and mess with some peoples brains going back in time! haha

What's your timeslot? What's the crowd going to be like? Try to guage if they want to get wasted, bang, dance, or all of the above, and choose your tracks according to the vibe in the room. Think of it like sex - don't go too hard, too fast, or you'll end up spending everything you've got; leaving everyone else unfulfilled. A steady pace with some change ups and variety go a long way. And once you have everyones attention, pull a couple tricks out, but don't do too much cause this isn't a battle Hope the sex analogy sticks; just came up with it
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjosh View Post
    I'm just worried about playing too many songs they might not know, as they aren't as open to things other than top 40 lol.
    then play good remixs of top40's

Tech Mentor

If you start with more easy stuff then the crowd will trust you and you'll be able to use more unknown music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast