Rane TTM 56s

Thread: Rane TTM 56s

Default Rane TTM 56s

Anyone using one as their mixer? I mean it seems like a versitle piece of kit mixer wise. Is it worth the money?
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

I have had the TTM-56 since it first came out and I still adore it. As a 2 channel battle mixer I don't think there's any comparison. Sound quality is pristine, the crossfader is the best I've ever used, and the channel faders are the same so if you're turntablism-inclined this mixer can give you some amazing options. If you've never played with a magnetic crossfader, check one out (but be careful, the display units at guitar center are usually not well taken care of; the crossfader feels like shit if it hasn't been lubed in years. Luckily lubing and cleaning the fader is an easy task).

I've since switched to a four-channel setup and frankly I miss the 56 insanely. I still have it and pull it out whenever I feel like mixing vinyl or practicing scratching or juggling. I bought a cheap but versatile 4-channel (the DDM4000) but all it's really done for me is make me miss using the TTM-56 and make me want a more expensive 4-channel , which I will probably eventually buy. But if 2 channels suit your needs and especially if you are into battle/scratch features, there is simply no alternative.

yes, its a great 2 ch. mixer.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I have had the TTM-56 since it first came out and I still adore it. As a 2 channel battle mixer I don't think there's any comparison. Sound quality is pristine, the crossfader is the best I've ever used, and the channel faders are the same so if you're turntablism-inclined this mixer can give you some amazing options. If you've never played with a magnetic crossfader, check one out (but be careful, the display units at guitar center are usually not well taken care of; the crossfader feels like shit if it hasn't been lubed in years. Luckily lubing and cleaning the fader is an easy task).

I've since switched to a four-channel setup and frankly I miss the 56 insanely. I still have it and pull it out whenever I feel like mixing vinyl or practicing scratching or juggling. I bought a cheap but versatile 4-channel (the DDM4000) but all it's really done for me is make me miss using the TTM-56 and make me want a more expensive 4-channel , which I will probably eventually buy. But if 2 channels suit your needs and especially if you are into battle/scratch features, there is simply no alternative.
    Yes what he said the best mixer Ive ever owned. I actually bought the floor model for 6 bills checked it out fully for a few days and was satisfied. Id like to get a new four channel but replacing the 56 is hard to do. The build quality is second to NONE!

I struggle with the EQs on the 56. I find them really unsubtle and kind of nasty: no good for any kind of technical mixing.

Build quality is excellent, if you're into DJing that's not EQ dependent.

If you care about EQs, though: A&H make 2-channel mixers which you can install a scratch Xfader in. I think they may even come with good Xfaders these days.

I really like the EQs on the Rane but I guess it's a matter of personal preference -- for me I like control over a larger bit of the low end when I mix. Rane sets the low frequency at 300Hz which I prefer to for example Pioneer at 70 Hz. For A+H it really depends which mixer you have; the 42 is centered at 420Hz (which gives you even more range in the low end than the Rane) while the 92 is at 100Hz (with a separate low-mid control). Here's a post that explains this in more depth -- http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24558 ... I'm not sure if this is why you find the Rane EQs "unsubtle" but that would probably account for the main differences in sound. If you're used to a 4-channel EQ though, well, yeah the Rane is going to give you a lot less control.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I bought a cheap but versatile 4-channel (the DDM4000) but all it's really done for me is make me miss using the TTM-56
    Dude, thats one hell of jump from one extreme to the other, no wonder you miss your 56!

If scratching your thing then the 56 is a hard one to beat, quality second to none. It's a mixer with real analogue pedigree, eq is so subjective to personal taste, I really like them on the 56.

When the xfade is set to it's sharpest, it has a tiny micro curve instead of sharp cut. This makes for a unique scratch experience when cutting on the 56, some turntablist don't like it others love it. It sort of softens really fast sharp scratch's without taking the energy out of the cutting sound.

If your not so in to scratching then maybe this mixer is a bit of an over kill, but on the other hand it's still a sensible built to last solid mixer that will hold it's value and in the gentler hands of a mixing dj it would still fill like brand new in 10 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubba Dutch View Post
    Dude, thats one hell of jump from one extreme to the other, no wonder you miss your 56!
    Hell yeah no doubt... One thing I do like on the DDM - and the reason I finally broke down and bought it - was the ability to set the EQ frequencies as you like them. For DJs who are fiddly about the EQs this is a great feature. However, actually adjusting the EQs with those plasticky knobs is kinda disappointing, heh...
    If scratching your thing then the 56 is a hard one to beat, quality second to none. It's a mixer with real analogue pedigree, eq is so subjective to personal taste, I really like them on the 56.
    Me too - my current EQ settings on the DDM are pretty close to what the 56 has.
    If your not so in to scratching then maybe this mixer is a bit of an over kill, but on the other hand it's still a sensible built to last solid mixer that will hold it's value and in the gentler hands of a mixing dj it would still fill like brand new in 10 years time.
    Yep, I've had mine about that long I think -- since long before I went digital anything -- and it still feels like brand new (and I am anything BUT gentle, heh). My only complaint on build quality is the power cord has a stupid phone jack connector, which busted within a few months of use; I promptly bought a new one for $30 and promptly busted it again a few weeks later the one time I let someone else set up my mixer. Rather than buy another I taped it on there with duct tape which looks like crap and makes it kind of a pain to transport (can't ever unplug it from the back of the mixer without taking the tape off). But the newer 56s doesn't have this problem at all, I think they went to a normal computer-style power connector. Everything else is great -- the faders started to feel kludgy after about 4-5 years of relatively heavy use, but an hour and a half with a couple screwdrivers and a bottle of lube and it was good as new!