try the vci-100 or go with SSL

Default try the vci-100 or go with SSL

Hi everyone, thanks for this website and forum, a great resource. like the thread title suggests, I am trying to figure out if i will be happy with the vci-100 or if i should just get SSL.

I am a mix dj, who will not be scratching on either system, but i definitely like the feel of records and feel comfortable using turntables and a mixer.

but on the other hand i am intrigued by the vci-100 and it's size for portability, and from the videos i have seen it's ease of use. I like the idea of using the jogdials like you would use records and if it works well enough it seems a heck of a lot less complicated then making sure the turntables are ground, the needles are good, etc. etc all the little things that go into using turntables.

so my questions for you all is will i be happy with the vci-100 to cue, beatmatch and mix songs or will i feel the itch for the tt's?

i read somewhere (maybe here) that dj's that are really into mixing will like the feel of SSL over a midi controller like the vci-100.

any input is much appreciated, thanks

Charo:

I had the same intrigue as you a couple of months back ago. Personally I was tired of carrying around the TTs and eventually the Pioneer's 1000MK3s, etc.

My main goal was something lightweight, flexible and that allowed me to "grow" continually in terms of effects, etc. Obviously, the VCI-100 did not meet all these goals, but it did most of them. For me, SSL and VCI-100 are two "different animals" that although offers/shares many functions/features, does not behave the same.

So, basically in the end, it's all a matter of personal preference and mix style that determines which one suits you "the best". For me, I am just really happy that Ean made public his 1.3 firmware... allowing a whole new array of new "features" that can be done with the VCI-100 without having to add/carry more gear to your gigs.

Just my .02
    Last edited by Julio; 09-25-2008 at 03:29 PM.
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

I recently added the vci-100 SE to my basic setup of 1200s and a mixer. The transition was very easy for me. Beat matching with pitch fader is really similar to TTs, except with just a little smaller range of motion - but u hear it and react so it isnt noticeable(if that makes sense).

The biggest advantage for the vci (or any controller) over a "time-code setup" is the programability of it. You're not locked in to generic settings. You can program your buttons, knobs, faders, to do anything you want; and, witih the help of midi translation software, they can be assigned to multiple actions. Controllers really open up your options as a dj. It's definately different. You have to learn and adapt some.. but it will really help your skills in the (relatively short) long run.

THen again, this is a controller-friendly forum so you probably wont hear a lot of support for the other side of the argument - which IMAO is, it's more socially acceptable to use time-code. Ok, Ok, and for "the feel of it."

If you want more options with less hardware go with a controller. If you want a more traditional setup with the ability to play mp3s get traktor scratch.

Man, i tried not sounding biased.. i tried...
    Last edited by aiden; 09-25-2008 at 04:00 PM.

thank you for your response. it's a tough decision to make, wish i could try the vci-100 before i were to buy. there's no place around me too.

this article by ean has me a little weary of MIDI:
    http://remixmag.com/performance/dj_t...ass/index.html

but i'm not sure i should be.

Guys:

Couldn't help but to react to your comments.

@Aiden: I truly believe you were not biased. To be completely honest.. I had a few problems with latency when I bought my first VCI-100. Ean suggested a few things in a few emails, but nothing helped at that time.

I bought Traktor Scratch so I would use the time-code CDs along with Audio8DJ sound card. Even though I was very happy with it... it simply is NOT portable!
    Being a Systems Engineer myself.. I decided to format down my laptop, start all over again, and sat down to setup/tweak Traktor and the OS. I managed to get a 1.5ms latency out of the Audio8DJ with no hisses/pops/cracks. I was so happy with the results, I emailed Ean... and he basically convinced me again to buy a new VCI-100.

So far, I am in love with the new results I found in my setup.

@Charo: There is nothing to fear as long as you have a pretty new laptop. (2Ghz+)
    Try to keep it strictly for your music apps... keep the OS up-to-date, stop any anti-virus while using your music software, do not use any USB hub. You should have a great stable system.

Keep watching the videos regarding VCI-100 until you are really convinced... Then, have fun with whatever you decide to buy.

P.D- AHhhh I think I will sell my Traktor Scratch+Audio8DJ and get the RME Fireface 400.
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Tech Mentor

just buy the vci300

We are in the early stages of controller djing. in 2 years everyone will have them but now there is not a controller that really does a "better" job than the mk2 for pitch bending and scratching. Then again, controllers do a lot of other things much, much better. So it depends on your priority.

honestly- I still love using an oxygen 8 + a mixer. its very useful.

thanks for the responses guys, and great site ean and i really like you articles on remixmag.

I went to a local dj store to look at the VCI-100, and ended up after much thought, bringing one home with me.

got LE loaded and the vci-100 and so far i'm having a blast with it.