studio monitors - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: studio monitors

here's a question due to the fact I am nearly finishing paying lots of money for a house, I can only afford to replace the crappy pc speakers I use for monitors with ones that I can use to Mix with, not DJ out and start up production, aka I put stuff together in Ableton then take it to my friends and we decide if we can run with it, if so we work with Ableton and Logic on his adam a7's in his full on studio.

so what would people say if they could only buy one set of speakers? because currently that's my situation for now, admittedly i run everything via my Xone 4D so can control the output pretty well, but don't want to be ruining the speakers whatever i decide to buy.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'm not presupposing to have more knowledge than anyone here, just going by what I've been told in my short years being interested.

But I just want to express this. My point wasn't that people can't use studio monitors to DJ. My point was that they aren't needed. Running your DJ gear through shitty computer speakers will sound like shit when listening on a professional system, yes, but that doesn't mean you need to spend $500 on speakers just for DJing.

This, to me, was more a conversation about need to preference. Like I said, I spin at home on a pair of REALLY old speakers but they sound gorgeous for DJing. I'd never take production serious on them, and my experience DJing with monitors was negative. That's all.

And I am sorry to say it, but I am going to assume that most starting DJs who have minimal or no experience with production (myself included) will not properly treat and calibrate their monitors for the most ideal sound. Throwing a subwoofer into the mix can really muddle that up, and, in a small room for making mixes, might really be unnecessary. My assumption was not properly calibrating your studio monitors, especially when throwing a subwoofer into the mix, can muddle the sound and make the mix sound just as bad as shitty $20 computer speakers.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    "Throw" refers to a speaker's projection. The speakers we're all talking about in this thread are meant to be short throw speakers (they're meant to be close to you in your listening environment). And that has NOTHING to do with the diameter of the speaker. Throw is primarily a function of the speaker's enclosure.

Did you take a seminar at Full Sail or something? I majored in recording engineering, and then spent over 15 years working full time as a professional audio engineer. And now, I'm a product manager for The Stanton Group (which also owns KRK and Cerwin Vega).

If the sub isn't properly calibrated, that IS possible. But assuming that the user is too lazy to properly calibrate their monitors is stupid. That's like assuming that users will produce left or right heavy mixes because they're too stupid to balance their monitors. Or their mixes will be bass light because they corner loaded their monitors.

If you're producing content that contains low frequencies that your monitors don't accurately produce, you need to have a sub to fill that gap in response.

No, I don't have Bob Katz sitting next to me or anything (although he'd be laughing if he was). I've done the job long enough to have formed my own opinion after talking to 15 years worth of people who do the same thing. I haven't only worked in the isolation of the electronic music scene, so maybe that changes my opinion somewhat.

This is giggle-worthy. Sorry, but the notion that everyone needs 2 sets of speakers for home DJing and production is silly. I've already stated why. To push that even further and tell the guy he needs to smoke his ears with some JBL Eons in the typical home environment is complete overkill.

It's all jibba jabba until I see you with a Gold Line in your hands. I've SEEN the frequency response graphs and talked to the engineers that designed them.

While that is true, sometimes opinions are ill informed. Your telling the OP to buy Behringer Truths, which will sound great for 6 months and then will fail. That's throwing money away in the long run. There are plenty of good mid-range brands out there that you'll get your money out of. And then you tell the OP that he needs a second pair of speakers to DJ on. And the cherry on top is recommending the OP skips the sub when it's highly likely that he'll need one if he wants accurate monitoring. I'll go to Bob Katz again and say that if he uses them, they're probably worth using.

^This^
    Sorry but you are just wrong on so many levels here... This debate could go on and on, but just a bit of research could easily prove most of your comments wrong. sorry bud.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post

And I am sorry to say it, but I am going to assume that most starting DJs who have minimal or no experience with production (myself included) will not properly treat and calibrate their monitors for the most ideal sound. Throwing a subwoofer into the mix can really muddle that up, and, in a small room for making mixes, might really be unnecessary. My assumption was not properly calibrating your studio monitors, especially when throwing a subwoofer into the mix, can muddle the sound and make the mix sound just as bad as shitty $20 computer speakers.
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    And now, I'm a product manager for The Stanton Group (which also owns KRK and Cerwin Vega).

Biased much?

Iv had my eye on some mackie mr8's for my bedroom. Not for Producing but for DJing only!

Are people saying this will be a bad choice for me?

All I want is some clear sounding techno to be blasted from them! All the other speakers Iv had sound like a paper bag being flicked when the bass kicks in, hence I was thinking of some decent speakers.

Thaughts?
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

I have a pair of genelec 8030 that im happy with, kinda pricey, but comfortable to work wiht and they work for me
    my music : www.soundcloud.com/themaxive

Traktor 2.5 Audio 6 midifighter classic x1
    vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jo3 View Post
    Iv had my eye on some mackie mr8's for my bedroom. Not for Producing but for DJing only!

Are people saying this will be a bad choice for me?

All I want is some clear sounding techno to be blasted from them! All the other speakers Iv had sound like a paper bag being flicked when the bass kicks in, hence I was thinking of some decent speakers.

Thaughts?
    Mackie's are great! just watch the clip indicators... you'll be fine

Tech Guru

Sorry but you are just wrong on so many levels here...
    I'm sure you think so. But I'll make a deal with you. I'll rely on my years of real professional experience, and I'll let you rely on the stuff you've read on the internets and now regurgitate as fact.

Biased much?
    I'm not telling everyone in this thread to buy KRK. Speaker choice is a highly personal thing. I'm chiming in because I hate seeing people who think they know about audio engineering (because they managed to put together a song on a computer in their living room) mislead people with opinions they've read and then spout as fact. This ends up being a disservice to people who genuinely need help.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Sorry but you are just wrong on so many levels here... This debate could go on and on, but just a bit of research could easily prove most of your comments wrong. sorry bud.
    Lance mate

I reckon you should take a more "agree to disagree" attitude to your postings.

nem0nic clearly knows what he is talking about. You may disagree but you're looking a bit foolish saying most of his comments are wrong.

Accept that audio engineering is a thorny issue and show a tiny bit of humility.

Being as stubborn as you are just makes you look like a bit of an ...

Am all up for opinions and criticisms but acting like you are the gospel on this very subjective subject is a bit much.

nem0nics credentials deserve a bit of respect imo.

And everyone's postings deserve respect too.

Peace out :-)
    Last edited by tekki; 02-04-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: No reason for cursing.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.