Start Up Help

Thread: Start Up Help

Default Start Up Help

Hi, I'm Adam.
    Since i was little I really have enjoyed all types of mixed and Techno music and always wanted to be a DJ. It was starting to slip my mind, when i stumbled on a video of Ean Golden showing off the VCI-100 Arcade controller on G4's attack of the show. This really peaked my interest and led me here hoping to get some info on how exactly to get started.

I live in a pretty small city with no clubs, we just have a bunch of bars that usually have someone just playing a set-list of MP3's that they call a DJ, or a band of some sort. I do however have a great opportunity because i live very close to Niagara Falls, which has many clubs and is a popular tourist area.

if anyone is willing to give me some basics and a list of the equipment i'll need, i would be more than grateful.

Tank you in advance.

Hey Adam, welcome to the forum.

My first piece of advice is to fall in love with music. Find what you like, what you don't and them try to understand the difference.

With a little insight into that you can figure out how you would like to put those songs together in a way to get what you like in them to other people.

As for getting started with equipment, does most of your music come on vinyl, CDs or downloads? CDs and downloads can get you into CDJs or controllers (with software). With vinyl you are on turntables (TTs) and an audio mixer.

The basic set-up around here is obviously the VCI-100, but many have gone in several different directions. And a lot start with just the software and a mouse!!

I suggest you try the demo of Traktor (available on the NI site). It is only playable for 30 minutes at a time, but you can get a feel for what is going on.

But remember that it is ALWAYS about the music;-)

Enjoy, Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Thanks Phil.

Over the years i really have fallen in love with music to the point where what I'm listening to occasionally effects my mood more than whats going on. Most of my music comes via download on iTunes or from the Newgrounds Audio Portal. I really enjoy faster BPM music, or something slow with alot of bass. I'll definitely download the Traktor trial when i get home.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I think the best bet for anyone just digging into this stuff is to find places around you that will allow you to test out equipment. Guitar Centers can be really good at letting you touch and maybe even play with stuff on their floor. Watch videos to see the kind of technique you want to go with.

And test out all the software you can find. ARound here we're mainly, but not exclusively, about Traktor, Abletone Live, Serato, the VCI-100 and 300 and a few other controllers. But that doesn't mean a damn thing. Check things out for yourself and test things for your taste. The kind of DJing you want to do is going to dictate the kind of equipment that will work best for you.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

So i downloaded the trial version of Traktor pro and i immediately noticed an issue, the output coming through my headset makes a buzzing noise. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I'm just using regular iTunes MP3's. Im using a Razer Megalodon USB headset, im guessing that's probably my problem. It sounds alot like the quality was just scaled down to nearly nothing.

Up your latency a ton and it should get slightly better. It's hard to run these things without a proper interface/
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Well my latency is locked at 10.0 and my sample rate is locked at 48000.

I think you need to change it in your audio card settings.

I know that most professional DJ warez do not react well to non-interface sound gear.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall