The best portable DJ Setup? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i would say a macbook & vcm-100.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I would take a vci 300 with the fx controller a laptop and that's it.. fits well in a bag..
    2xTECHS/DJM4/TF/SL3/MBPRO

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    It works great. All you really need to mix is EQ controls right? 8 knobs is perfect for 2 decks. For the pads I map play, cue, cup, and sync for each deck. Plus you get 4 banks so I can switch to the other banks for FX. If you need to be able to scan through the track to find the right place you can map the knobs in the other banks to do it, although I always just use the mouse and cuepoints for that.
    cool, its interesting, and stuff like volume fader and ptich fader and maybe xfader, that something u map the knobs to? or not use at all?

Tech Guru

You said you need a soundcard, a computer and a controller. Yet you already have a soundcard, a computer and a controller.

Tech Convert

haha yeaa... but i want to maybe get rid of some stuff and get it even more portable if possible thats my idea

Tech Guru

Ah ha, I see. Well I know I'm trying to get as portable as possible as I want to go travelling. What I intend to use is my macbook 13", audio 8 (if you're not using 4 decks then you can probably get something even more compact), the novation launchpad and I intend to build my own midi controller consisting of literally around 6-8 rotary dials (for FX) in a strip formation which will be as wide as the launchpad and I intend to some how connect it to the launchpad so that it is one unit.
    Right now I dont have a launchpad so I use an apple slim line keyboard and I haven't built the midi controller for the FX yet so I use a nanokontrol.
    If you find a more portable set up with the same amount of buttons as a QWERTY keyboard or a launchpad please do let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by esse2k View Post
    cool, its interesting, and stuff like volume fader and ptich fader and maybe xfader, that something u map the knobs to? or not use at all?
    Yeah something like that. Remember that you get 4 different banks with the LPD and for each bank the pads can send 8 notes and 8 cc's. So you really have 32 knobs, and 64 buttons. I would have posted my mapping, but I'm still changing a lot of things around. Plus I feel that it's really specialized to things that I do. Might not be very useful to anyone else.

I have my different banks setup for different situations. So sometimes I have timecoded vinyl and a mixer at my disposal. In these instances I just want to control the FX. So banks 1 & 2 are used to control the 4 FX banks and hotcues. Other times it's just the LPD8. So for bank 3 I have the knobs setup for volume fader/eqs, and the pads/cc control play, cue, cuplay sync for each deck. I just kinda screw around with the 4th bank. It has buttons setup to browse your collection, switch the timecode modes, and scratching.

I don't make use of the crossfader when I'm mixing, and if I don't have vinyl I just let sync take care of the pitch.

Tech Mentor

sounds like what you really need is a case for the vci-100se and audio 4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12