The best portable DJ Setup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default The best portable DJ Setup?

Hi!

I have been thinking about finding a good portable dj setup since I plan to be moving around a bit, i am not yet a serious dj with gigs just got myself some stuff to have as a hobby at home so far. (i already also have a pacemaker so no need to suggest that i want something a little bit bigger at least

need-list:
    *controller
    *soundcard
    *computer
    *some small keyboard for production etc, (havent gotten started producing any yet but i want to
    *a good bag to fit it all in

and what I have atm is:
    *VCI-100 se modded
    *audio 4 dj soundcard
    *17" hp laptop with traktor pro, few years old
    *laptop bag

now its not actually that easy to squeeze it all into the bag and the bag is not great, so im wondering if someone has any good suggestions for what stuff to get from the "need-list", and what you would keep!

thanks all in advance!

For production I'd recommend trying the demo versions of well known products. Maybe try ableton, reason, fl studio and see if you like them. If production turns out not to be your thing you might not want to buy the keyboard.
    If your pc is still good I wouldn't buy a new one and I think the vci+audio4 is a great combo.
    Bag wise I have no clue but I saw some bags by mono which looked cool and came in various sizes..
    If you plan on moving around soon the first thing id do is buy a proper bag so you don't break your current stuff. Good luck

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You're going to be hard pressed to find one bag that can hold a computer, a keyboard and a controller like the VCI. I think there are options out there, though. Do some searches for bags and you'll get tons of answers.

Don't forget about cables, converters, and general needs. Really all you NEED is what you have listed. Everything else makes our lives easier.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Being portable and working with little space is what im all about (aka fitting everything into a civic)

Check out the Ogio bag, if you seach that and my name youll see some pics with all my stuff in it. Personally i LOVE IT. It has enough little compartments for everything as well as enough space for my vci, surge protector, very long wires and more.

Im sure others would agree the audio 2 will prob be the most portable on the sound card side. For producing i believe the new Oxygen keyboard is quite slim, and if you want to get even smaller look into the korg nano controllers.

hope that helps
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Audio 4/2 DJ
    Akai LPD 8
    15 inch laptop

That's all you need, and it doesn't get any more portable than that.

Tech Convert

thanks for all your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    Audio 4/2 DJ
    Akai LPD 8
    15 inch laptop

That's all you need, and it doesn't get any more portable than that.
    you mean djing with just the akai?... is that viable? you would need something else too right.. or ami wrong?

It's possible. In fact, it's been proven to be possible without LPD8. For portability thats 10/10

I have 3 EKS xp10's, all picked up on Ebay for less than £60 a pop.

http://eks.fi/product.php?p=products&id=2

Laptop, audio2dj and a midifighter should be enough to rock hard.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by esse2k View Post
    thanks for all your replies!

you mean djing with just the akai?... is that viable? you would need something else too right.. or ami wrong?
    It works great. All you really need to mix is EQ controls right? 8 knobs is perfect for 2 decks. For the pads I map play, cue, cup, and sync for each deck. Plus you get 4 banks so I can switch to the other banks for FX. If you need to be able to scan through the track to find the right place you can map the knobs in the other banks to do it, although I always just use the mouse and cuepoints for that.
    Last edited by TWD; 02-03-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast