Starting Production
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Starting Production

Sorry but I posted this on the wrong forum by accident.

I've been DJing for a few years now and i'm finally about to start buying some production gear. I know you've probably seen this type of thread a million times now but your help would be appreciated.

I was thinking of getting a macbook and putting Reason on it to start off with and using a midi controller. I also have a copy of Ableton live LE somewhere that should give me a good idea of how the whole subject works, maybe thinking about buying the full version later. I was also wondering what type of soundcard or interface would be best, and if I would need a small mixer or not. I was going to get the M-audio bx8a monitors as they sound great.

Budget isn't too much of a problem as i've been saving for a good while and I think the gear is most definitely worth the money.

Please tell me your thoughts and any other things that you would recommend to me.

Cheers

The choice of a MacBook is a good idea.
    Reason is a great program. However it does lack some options you will probably wanna use like working with audio samples etc....

If you do go the route of a MacBook I recommend grabbing a copy of LogicExpress9 which is approx 200$

Whats really nice is you can ReWire Reason into Logic and send the audio from its synths etc into your Logic Project.

As well the millions of VST/Audio Units out there that can be plugged in to extend the functionality of Logic.

I myself work on both a 13" MacBookPro and an iMac with these programs.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Tech Student

Thanks for that, I thought Ableton live would do the same as Logic as you can use it to record audio you make in Reason.

Is Logic Express quite straight forward? Would you recommend it for a beginner over the likes of Ableton? I don't have much experience with DAWs you see...

Cheers

I use both Live 8 and Logic Pro, but Live is my go to app for production nowadays, then there are certain things i do in Logic. I started out on Reason, and as others stated before it lacks some things. Don't worry about a mixing board to start. Get a decent audio interface (I like the Presonus Firebox) and get some good monitors with a true sound. Get a midi controller, 25 key will do.

Good Luck!!

I really only ever use ableton for live sets.

Perhaps soon I will pick it up as a production piece.
    For now though I am pretty stoke don Lo geek
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

i've been mucking about with production for a while now, but never got serious partly as i havent had the time, and partly the know how really. i've found you can only teach yourself up to a point.. I'm really familiar with synths and sound modelling, but really not great with DAWs and automation etc..

@someone like Lance Blaise - how do you recommend getting more familiar with the fundamentals behind production and mastering, without blazing into a full on sound production course?

(@b1rell sorry for jacking the thread, but thought it might help you out too )

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    i've been mucking about with production for a while now, but never got serious partly as i havent had the time, and partly the know how really. i've found you can only teach yourself up to a point.. I'm really familiar with synths and sound modelling, but really not great with DAWs and automation etc..

@someone like Lance Blaise - how do you recommend getting more familiar with the fundamentals behind production and mastering, without blazing into a full on sound production course?
    If you have any friends who produce, maybe sit and watch them for a bit. Doesn't matter if they are good or not, it just may help you understand how the programs work... I know thats basically how i learned. I watched, and watched, and watched, then tried, and tried and tried... eventually i was grasping the ideas on what to do. Then you can strt in with how to build the track up!

I know it is very frustrating to learn the programs. I think that is what makes most people give up. I know so many DJs who tell me that they know how they want to make music sound, so they want to start producing.. they buy all this gear, then 6 months later they are giving up. Its not simple... but its also not rocket science. A little patience will go a long way. Look on the web and watch the Future Music videos. Even if its not the producers you like, or if they use programs you don't use, a lot of the stuff you learn is interchangable, and you learn lots of good ideas you can throw into your own stuff.

Remember, some of the best things in music come from mistakes, so don't be afraid to try something that is out of the ordinary...
    Last edited by LanceBlaise; 02-04-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Also, don't worry about learning mastering. Its really an art on its own outside of producing.

hmm yeah i guess.. I've seen a lot of production happening.. used to do a lot of recording and live synth modelling when i was in a band. plus i get future music and computer music a lot and watch the masterclasses, so I know what's involved in the process. i guess for me it's more about LFO automation and stuff (if that's even how it's done.. to make wonky basslines?) i just dont know where to start!

Tech Guru

i also just started with production. ableton live le actually is pretty nifty these days. its basically live intro, but with less bundled instruments (and this is where you will be hurting at the start, but you can get quite a few sounds via the free kore player from NI).

i have now upgraded to live 8, but i am still pondering to get the suite to get more instruments, but its not super necessary either. i got the launchpad which makes working with ableton sooooo much more fun and interactive. it also comes with 1Gb of loops which I used to put together my very first track after about 2-3 weeks of messing around with ableton once or twice a week for a few hours:
    http://soundcloud.com/djsdive
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast