hard drive has failed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hard drive has failed

well not yet got a friend working on it, got him backing up everything he can before something happends to it, sucks tho really bad do you guys bring your external hard drives to gigs, at first i didn't but now since this thing has happened i am afraid to leave anything on my internal hard drive. Like I might just get a 500gb external hd and put windows on it and boot from there.

so pissed makes me hate my dell
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

Whats it doing that makes you think its failed ? Generally speaking hard drives dont give you any warning that they are about to die, they just die :\

For the paranoid dj who is worried about hard drive failure its possible to actually boot an OS from a thumb drive. With the size of thumb drives nowadays you have more than enough room to install an OS, traktor and all the music you will need to rock on for the rest of your gig.

Hard drive failure is a fact of life, Toshibas do it, Macs do it, Dells do it, doesn't matter who you buy off they are all about just as susceptible to this damage.

Question: Does booting from the Stick not slow down your operating system?

BTW, personaly i wouldnt boot from an external...its gona be slower
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Quote Originally Posted by Krilikz View Post
    BTW, personaly i wouldnt boot from an external...its gona be slower
    That is what I was implying. It would be considerably slower actually. Even the stick option would make it very slow. I mean, in all fairness for thin clients and all, but they just do not do it for when you are going to use a lot of your computers resources.

well i am thinking its gonna die cause my hard drive stops spinning on boot up, i get the blue screen of death when i try to boot up in safe mode, so I am thinking its about to go.

I check a 200gb hd from dell it was like 230 so I might get that and just keep all my music on my external and just have all my programs on the internal hd.
    my arsenal:

my 10minmix video

Quote Originally Posted by djxsquizet View Post
    well i am thinking its gonna die cause my hard drive stops spinning on boot up, i get the blue screen of death when i try to boot up in safe mode, so I am thinking its about to go.

I check a 200gb hd from dell it was like 230 so I might get that and just keep all my music on my external and just have all my programs on the internal hd.
    are you sure its the hdd dying and not something else? BAD memory made me get this before on my old laptop. The symptoms look bad though. But you said you have a DELL? Well, there are great diagnostics tools from dell, they should have come with your laptop, OR you can get them off the net. It will take some time to scan your system for errors (especially the HDD) but you will most probably get some answers Better be safe/sure than sorry

If you would need any kind of technical help, then let me know (worked with this damn computer shit for 17 years now hehe)

aight good looks i got my friend working on it now he is trying to fix it so hopefully it will be fine once he gets done i am just worrying cause i have not backed up all my new music.
    my arsenal:

my 10minmix video

You could search for hdd monitor software that can look at the health of your hdd.

Still bluescreens at the start up get me thinking to do a reinstall of your OS?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Please be aware that booting from an external hard drive will not yield the same performance, and if you plan on running any software from there (especially audio) expect an even decreased performance.

If you still decide to go this route, get an eSata drive, so you can get the best performance.
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast