How to Fix a PS3 w/ Red Lights
    Tech Guru

Default How to Fix a PS3 w/ Red Lights

My mate asked me to fix his ps3, apparently it has overheated and is now flashing red lights and beeping thrice when I try to power it up. I have tried searching the internet for a fix, but all these people want to charge you for the knowledge. Anyone have a linky for a good guide or could give some advice?
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Guru

found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ59q...858&feature=iv

anyone used this method he seems to just clean and re-paste the cpu?
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Mentor

They sometimes call it YLOD, it's a lot like an RROD 360 m8 except u don't need to fit any new washers or big screws to hold it together.

Basically u open it up, give it a clean, blast it with some hot air to reflow the chips, put some new thermal paste on the heatsinks and put it back together again. If you've got a rework station or a heat gun, blast it with some hot air as Gilksy says in the video - just make sure to let it cool before turning it over or reassembling and remember those sticky heatsink pads when u reassemble. I know a few people that haven't had to use a rework station or hot air blower and had success by just cleaning it up and applying some new paste tho tbh.

I hear the hot air gun solder reflow thing work for yellow light.

You say it gets red light and it beeps 3x. thats what normally happens if you hold the power for more than a few seconds and it resets the settings for video. be sure you not just doing that try and just tap it on with a quick tap.

Tech Mentor

Good point Kaleaf (note to self - must read the original post)

It does sound like the power button on the front is being held down - I'd check to make sure the case isn't bent and holding the power button down or that the switch inside isn't stuck before doing any other repairs.

i know a guy here in l.a. that does the repairs, and has some partners on the east coast..Ill look for the link
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

What about calling Sony up? If this is a known problem you might have a chance to get this fixed by them professionaly. Before messing around on a expensive piece of hardware myself i would check with the manufacturer first.