Television is the devil - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 71
  1. #31
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Stavanger, Norway.
    Posts
    10

    Default

    i agree about tv being generally bad because they show so much crap on it, but i like the public tv and radio of my home country (sweden).. quite a lot of good shows and programs and no advertising... i know most countries dont have that tho. ^^ also.. the internet is a huge thief of time...

  2. #32
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to a canal in England.
    Posts
    9,028

    Default

    I saw:
    The Berlin Wall come down.
    Nelson Mandella freed
    Barack Obama elected.
    England beat the Ozzies.
    Porn.

    and a million other great things on television. If its shit turn it off and have a wank.

    Television ROCKS..!

  3. #33
    DJTT Moderator Dude Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,401

    Default

    hehe karl. multitasking!
    Last edited by Jester; 02-07-2010 at 04:38 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

    " Iím the Dude, so thatís what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if youíre not into the whole brevity thing. "

  4. #34

    Default

    Damn... I guess my Masterplan for World Domination is gonna be without mass media hypnotisations now...
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

  5. #35
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I saw:
    The Berlin Wall come down.
    Nelson Mandella freed
    Barack Obama elected.
    England beat the Ozzies.
    Porn.!
    All these amazing TV moments probably add up to about 1% compared to the remaining 99% of crap that sucks you in and turns you into a couch potato. They can all be viewed on the internet anyway. And you hardly need TV for porn.
    TV as a medium is great, I'm not denying that. What sucks is I personally was watching too much, and what rocks is that upon getting rid of it I am getting on with more constructive things.
    What anyone else does with their time is their prerogative. To me personally it's better that I don't have it my life right now. My only thoughts with regard to other people watching it is that I think it's a shame people watch a bunch of talentless nobodies sitting around in a house talking fucking nonsense. And another thing that really fucks me off is people getting well paid presenting or voice over jobs and they can't even speak english properly. Adverts for colleges and universities with some guy who can't even pronounce his T's or TH's? Yeah great college that must be!

  6. #36
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to a canal in England.
    Posts
    9,028

    Default

    Dodge dude i saw those things live on News casts (apart from the Porn). Thats important.
    I watched them with friends and family. TV can unite people around a common cause (Live Aid, Live8 etc)

    If you got sucked into crap TV thats just your too bad, its not the blame of TV. Turn it off and do something constructive.

    Oh and whats all the shit about people that cant speak English properly.
    Are you some Upper Class snob with a plum in your mouth. Dropping T's and H's ??? Christ we arent in Victorian times.

    Fuck me dude are you gonna tell me that regional accents are all incorrect.
    (id think carefully about that)

    Sorry dude but you lost me... Your sounding like a snob... The English language is rich and diverse and you should not be so old and traditional in your opinion.

    And as for this snobbery about Universities, well that just a joke.
    If you attend Eton, well done you must be fucking loaded. I went to the University Of Central Lancashire and got a 2:1 in Political Philosophy, i didnt need to go Oxford to know how to have a conversation.

    I dont know where you from in UK Dodge but wherever it is there is dog-shit on the pavement just like anywhere else.

    As for TV. I dont watch Jeremy Kyle or Dancing On Ice (although my cousin is one of the Pro-Ice Dancers on the show). I just watch stuff that i like.

  7. #37
    DJTT Dominator JesC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    5,612

    Default Re: Television is the devil

    Wow! I guess I need to throw out my 42" LCD tv and cut my directv. I'm lucky if I get to watch 2 or 3 hrs per week. A DVR is a lifesaver, I mostly watch the news or watch movies with the wife & kids. But I would watch the Jersey Shore cuz of Dj Paulie D (LOL)
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

  8. #38
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    i'm going to suggest that it's the message that's the problem and not the medium of television itself.

    with the right programming, television is a valuable tool. nova, pbs, reading rainbow etc. there are examples of programming out there that can have positive effects on people and it can be an excellent tool for education.

    television as a medium has connected us in a way like never before....so many famous tv history moments that have more to do with life and the human condition then jersey shores....the challenger exploding, 9/11, the debates between kennedy and nixon, the list can go on and on.

    I fear this KILL YOUR TELEVISION movement can be likened to gun controls advocates that blame guns....even with the best intentions this places the blame on the wrong end.

    i don't have a tv, but i do watch stuff online, hulu etc.

    anything is bad if it gets in your way of actually doing things....
    Yeah, of course the problem is not the tool, but how you use it.

    Sadly people with enough power and money to control tv content only see it as a making money and seling propaganda tool.

    As I said before, tv is very dictatorial. The internet on the contrary is a very open medium where you get lots of different motivations besides people wanting to make money. Like this forum for example. In the internet you can choose, with tv you can't. They are selling to you 100% of the time.

    When I was studying production we had this executive production teacher. He worked in different mediums like tv, film, music, etc. He told us how people in the tv business see it. His literal words were:

    "TV is not a space with content and ads in between. It's a space with ads, and content in between to make people watch the ads".

    So content is influenced by advertisement. If you think about it, all the money tv stations do come from advertisement time...

  9. #39
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    All these amazing TV moments probably add up to about 1% compared to the remaining 99% of crap that sucks you in and turns you into a couch potato.
    couch potato! LOL!

  10. #40
    DJTT Ninja Mod tekki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Afterhour Ali's lap
    Posts
    11,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Dodge dude i saw those things live on News casts (apart from the Porn). Thats important.
    I watched them with friends and family. TV can unite people around a common cause (Live Aid, Live8 etc)

    If you got sucked into crap TV thats just your too bad, its not the blame of TV. Turn it off and do something constructive.

    Oh and whats all the shit about people that cant speak English properly.
    Are you some Upper Class snob with a plum in your mouth. Dropping T's and H's ??? Christ we arent in Victorian times.

    Fuck me dude are you gonna tell me that regional accents are all incorrect.
    (id think carefully about that)

    Sorry dude but you lost me... Your sounding like a snob... The English language is rich and diverse and you should not be so old and traditional in your opinion.

    And as for this snobbery about Universities, well that just a joke.
    If you attend Eton, well done you must be fucking loaded. I went to the University Of Central Lancashire and got a 2:1 in Political Philosophy, i didnt need to go Oxford to know how to have a conversation.

    I dont know where you from in UK Dodge but wherever it is there is dog-shit on the pavement just like anywhere else.

    As for TV. I dont watch Jeremy Kyle or Dancing On Ice (although my cousin is one of the Pro-Ice Dancers on the show). I just watch stuff that i like.
    Hell yeahs! +1 on that bro'. Slack me up a big chunk of cable!

    Fuck... if it weren't for cable I wouldn't have DSL.

    Big up for cable companies and cable tv I say!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •