Television is the devil
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Television is the devil

I made a life changing decision a few days ago... I took the TV and Sky satellite box out of my room so as not to have any distractions. I have to say that the amount of scratching practice I have done has doubled. I now have a space where my TV was to sit down and work on making tracks or mash-ups or what ever (which to be honest I haven't started doing yet, but I will).
    Just thought I'd share that with you guys incase anyone here watches a lot of TV, just try it for a week, get rid of it and see what happens. If you don't scratch maybe start, or maybe practice your cue juggling, anything constructive instead of being sat in front of the idiot box for hours on end in the evening like I used to.
    Admittedly I have been watching one movie a night on my laptop while I eat dinner, but one step at a time huh. Normally if I watched a film I'd change the channel when it finished to watch something else (like a rerun of southpark for the 100th time), but instead I have been getting straight back on the decks and practicing so I'm getting there.

Try it.

Peace

Congrats. I do agree that TV is mostly garbage, forunately I have extra space in my flat.
    And don't forger books are good too!

Tech Guru

If anyone here watched Scratch the documentary, D-Styles talks about reading this book that said if he gave up everything for a year and just focused on that one thing you want to focus on, you will be the best at what you do.

This is what truly elevates people to new levels, focus and determination. Good job on making that change. I'm moving into a new place shortly and I'm pondering getting rid of my game systems.

only got a tv in the living room but none in each of the bedrooms. i aint been practising much as ive just moved in but i wanna keep the tv away from my dj gear as that room is solely for mixing and practising.

good move though.
    Traktor pro 1.2.4, Behringer bcd 3000, kontrol x1, DJTT midifighter, audio 4, hd-25's, Korg nanopad(for sale, pm for details), Sony Vaio vista 3gb dual core, 250 HD

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I have never, in my entire life, had a television in my bedroom. I don't believe in them.

I actually haven't even watched TV in weeks, preferring to spend time with, y'know, people.

When I want a night of TV I go to my mom's and make a family thing out of it.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I don't believe in them.

They definitely exist.

Broadcase tv is awful, but it's not like there aren't good tv shows out there. Between torrents and BBC Iplayer it's possible to watch nothing but quality tv with no adverts, streamed to your telly.

Enrich your minds motherfuckers.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    if he gave up everything for a year and just focused on that one thing you want to focus on, you will be the best at what you do.
    I'm pondering getting rid of my game systems.
    In my case I think 2 years, maybe 3.

And yes, definitely get rid of the games system. No offence, but I've never got my head round the whole gaming thing, I can understand playing with a mate for a little while but I know so many peeps who sit in a play games on their own. It always felt too artificial to me, I mean I know it is artificial but just too much so. I always want to do things beyond the boundaries of the game.
    Has anyone played that Dj Hero? What a fucking joke! Went round a mates who had it and I was like "yeah I'm gonna bust you lot up!". How wrong was I!... Obviously I'm not as good at pushing a button at the right moment as these "gamers". I mean that's all it is, pushing a button when the computer tells you to. They could basically sack off all the graphics, all the music, everything, and just have a red light come up when you gotta push the red button and a green light for the green button. That game and all the music "hero" games are definitely the work of the devil. Such a waste of life!

Sorry if anyones into that shit

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jack bastard View Post
    they definitely exist.
    lies! Secrets and lies!
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

gave up watching tv like six years ago.. i don't miss it at all and everytime i watch some tv at a friends house, i know why i gave it up :-P

the internet is a lot more distracting, though
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

DA's client is the devil I tell ya!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast