Big DIY Project for Midifighter plataform
    Tech Guru

Default Big DIY Project for Midifighter plataform

Hey ppl,
    I'm dreaming with a controller everyday from the past 2 weeks and I've finished the design attached below.
    My first idea was using Arduino to build it, but someone at this forum said that Arduino isn't the most MIDI-Friendly plataform for midi controllers.
    My second idea was to use MIDIBOX, but now I'm wondering, with the Midifighter plataform, is that possible to build something like what I want for a controller?

That's 28 analog inputs, 92 switches, 2 endless encoders and 14(?) LED outputs.

Technically possible provided you are comfortable building the parallel-serial boards. Software can handle it, CPU has enough grunt, The analog inputs can be multiplexed read 4 at a time, your major problem is that you only have 4 digital inputs/outputs to select which device on the bus you are interacting with, actually send serial data and latch it. You'll spend a lot of time building circuits that will allow you to "select Key bank 4, then shift-on the keystate, then select keybank 5, then shift in the keystate.." There are much better ways to spend your time:

Solution #1: Add a cheap outboard microcontroller like an Arduino Mini to handle the keystate and analog input reads, then use a high speed serial protocol like SPI to transfer that data to the Midifighter for transmission over USB. In effect you'll be using the Midifighter as an intelligent USB port, which is not a bad way to use it at all.

Solution #2 is to forget the Midifighter and go it alone with something like a Teensy 2.0 USB microcontroller and adapt the source for the Midifighter to that platform. We did the hard bits so you'll have a much easier time writing code to poll keys, read inputs and send MIDI. With many more pins available you'll have a much easier time separating the four systems: keys reads, analog reads, rotary encoders and LED outputs.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 02-05-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Tech Guru

Thanks for your tips Fatlimey, I really appreciated

My problem is that I dont have any friends with eletrical skills, I think my project will stay at my dreams for a while.

but anyway, it's fun to use your creativity and build something, even if it is only a design.

For those who liked my design, I did on MS Office 2007, it's easy. You need to draw a few objects and then GROUP them togeter like i did on Arcade button (2 circles grouped)

Tech Wizard

have you seen the livid builder series???

you can get a simple brain, usb powered, and a breakout board for your input and LED matrix.

this may be better than the other dev controllers, because its WAY more simple to use and is class compliant.

hardest part would be making the enclosure

Tech Wizard

if you need extra help, you can view my progress. hopefully my mistakes can be learned from!

http://soundsparks.blogspot.com/