Breaking News: Fellow TechToolers Jump on The Cut! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    I have forgotten about trying to scratch with the VCI. Its just so much nicer using the turntable and a TC vinyl. I miss about trying to scratch on the controller but i get it right and much much tighter on the decks.
    I would love to see a psytrance scratch DJ...
    Do scratch works well with indian, aztec, egypt psytrance fullon?
    I can't imagine would it sound. Can you drop me a song or two?

I don't know yet how to incorporate scratching techniques at my style without making it sound "hipsy-hoptrance" lol

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post

I don't know yet how to incorporate scratching techniques at my style without making it sound "hipsy-hoptrance" lol
    add a flanger effect, and maybe some digital lofi
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    add a flanger effect, and maybe some digital lofi
    I would need a turntable or jogwheel to try that, I only have my oxygen and my laptop
    That makes me think, can I use the Pitch of my Oxygen to control some short scratching movements?

Im sure could you map it to scrub through the track but no offense thatd be mad weak...
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Tech Guru

I would say make a key scrub forward and accelerate based on pitch, then use your pitch wheel to make changes.

p.s. although I admit I assumed you had some sort of something to scratch with in the first place.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    I want to learn how to scratch, I've been saying that forever haha.
    That was me a few years ago.

Finally been collecting what i need etc....and now have something proper to use and learn on.

Its BOH SELEKTAAAAA!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    Last time I saw QBert I thought it was great. I really like percussion, taiko, though lol! You can appreciate something for what it is without needing to apply it to your own craft. I love to scratch. I can just get mesmerized, and the practice and repetition builds skills useful for dj skills other than scratching. I'll scratch for hours. BUT playing for other people, I only use a little scratching in moderation, and only if it serves to build the energy, or break something down. It's gotta serve the music...
    Agreed.

If you playing a set....you can't scratch all the way thru it.
    Samling and doing a few FX type scratches and layering tracks...ala mashup.

Then at the mix...do you trick mix and then on to the next track to sample etc.

Else its a showcase 6 - 10 min set of madness....showing all your styles etc.

Thats enough...innit?

I would like to have my own 6min showcase....

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post

NOOOO!

I have only scratched to the psy in very very little bits. Just FX wise....
    What i do is use the Delay and set it to 16th's.

Then when i do scratch.....its either a stab in and out with the fader or i will transform a sound sample. You don't hear the delay then as i close the fader after each movement of the jog.

Then if i wanna scratch in a break....to do a makeshift fill.....i leave the fader open when a stop the jog movement. The delay is then heard....and is in time with the Master Tempo.

Thats about it really. No juggling etc....

But thats not what i scratch to everyday.

Psytrance is what i get gigs for and get paid for.
    But I been playing other genres for the last year or so. Gonna hit that scene here pretty soon!

Electro and Minimal Techno is what I scratch to usually. Practicing etc.
    Sharpening up the skills before i start playing out.

But the thing is.....now that i been TCing on the decks.....i don't wanna or have any desire to scratch on the VCI (which was my original plan).

I mean, I know there of many out there wanting to know if its possible and what not, and whether you can get really good at it overtime....ie, giving the VCI a good go for scratching overtime. Is it worth it???

Well.....I will say (after check both out).....that if you can already scratch on vinyls properly.....you will be able to get used to do it on the VCI over time.
    You won;t be able to do all you could....but your skills will show etc. You will know the techniques of each scratch.

But if you have no scratching experience at all.....you not gonna get real far on the VCI. You will learn to transform and what not and learn fader control....but not the rub.
    Its just too fucking small to do anything tight or sharp.

I tried for a while....and the only real success i saw was in my fader control.
    Its only been since i have been on vinyl that i have got the rub right and the pull and release movement. It sucks trying to do that on the VCI.

Like we said earlier in the thread....you gotta watch the actual vinyl marker. That helps me So much when jumping betwen samples and pulling back and letting the sample play in time.

You can;t do this with teh VCI jogs.

Maybe 14bit will be better. I have no idea. The VCI-300 is build more for this type of thing. I get it now.

The VCI-100 is more for normal mixing.

So my verdict is TC vinyl all the way man.
    Its an amazin technology and is magic to my mates.

@V-Hoff....

You know Damage?

Very Urban kinda vibe......likes to incorporate the hiphop.

I can see myself scatching in his breaks etc.....

Its REALfast tho. 147BPM is fast to scratch too.
    I am still a beginner!

fastes stuff ill ever fuck with cutting is DNB. even that sounds strange sometimes. to be honest i cant imagine scratching ever sounding good with anything other than hiphop breaks dnb and a select few chill dub tracks. this however does not mean im knocking anyone who scratches other stuff *cough*psytrance*cough* LOL jk sarasin.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123