Moving out and I want a nice desk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Moving out and I want a nice desk

After looking through the show your setup thread and seeing some of the sick workstations some of you guys have I was wondering where do you guys get these desks?

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

im my opinion best way to go: thrift store for the desk ($50 tops) then cruse to the hardware store & pick up some parts for additions (like ear-level speaker stands & an eye-level monitor/or/laptop stand, & even extra wood and screws if you want cut holes to house your equipment flush in the desk) then give it a paint or wood finish & it should be legit.

Tech Guru

Yeah... my desk is pretty.... lofi. I had an old door. Now it sits on saw horses. hehe. Its too big.

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

yo shine, versatile, hah

Ikea is great for getting desks that can be built into a nice studio setup at an affordable price.

True that, look at all the Ikea Jerker or Expedit hacks. Even Oliver Chessler (the Horrorist) shows simple Ikea desks do a more than adequate job.

Otherwise go to a local woodshop and have them cut up some wood for you.

Mark Ephraim has a nice setup too:
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

If you have power tools or have access to some then you should definitely go to the hardware store. I'm in the US, but most of the stores in my area sell 2'x4' sheets of plywood in all thickness for under $10 each usually. Then get some 2x4s, screws, and paint and you've got yourself a desk. Sure, buying something will probably look nicer, but nothing compares to that feeling you have when you look at your workstation knowing that it was all you in the process of making it. I'm sure there's better feelings but I'm sure you get the idea.

Also a nice place to pick up some ideas regarding desks, http://trashaudio.blogspot.com/

Really loving Jeswa's desk and view!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Also a nice place to pick up some ideas regarding desks, http://trashaudio.blogspot.com/

Really loving Jeswa's desk and view!
    Very cool. I like the cutout desk.. being as i am legally blind and have to sit literally 2 inches from the screen, a cutout like that would really help. That view looks beautiful and inspiring, I wonder how that lends to the sound in the room though with that window...?

Tech Guru

perhaps he has the double paned windows? as long as he has an adequate amout of air between the two, it will at least prove to eliminate outside noise... probably is still shite as far as sound reflections go though...

I'm actually going to pich up some plywood and 2 x 4's in a bit, going to build myself a respectable desk, and start the work on the Tuba 30's today...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast