There are 3 Types of DJ's...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default There are 3 Types of DJ's...

I'm not talking about vinyl, CDJ, or digital DJ's. In my opinion there are 3 kinds of DJs that exist.

The Promo DJ, The Tastemaker, and the Technical DJ.

The Promo DJ has built a career through creating there own events and popularity. They do a hell of a job getting people hyped for their events and they all the sudden seem to be everywhere. They can give anything a buzz.

The Tastemaker has some skill but is more popular for breaking new music or bringing in that old track at just the right time.

The Technical DJ is focused on solid skill and very complex sets to generate a crowd. It usually takes a bit more knowledge of DJing to appreciate their kind of shows.

My point in this post is not to say any one is better then the other. In fact I think it's good to see this distinction because it means you can choose your path to success. Think of your favourite DJ's and they likely fall into one of these categories of even a hybrid of all of them. Steve Aoki comes to mind for me. I wouldn't say he's the most technical DJ but he breaks new music and does a hell of a job of Promotion. A-Trak technical back in his scratch days and a tastemaker for sure.

I think for success you have to have a balance between all 3 of these.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'm picturing a character building screen for something like "DJ: The Mixing" or something. Those are the three careers you can choose.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Wow, that actually is a cool idea DA!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

could me make a fourth slot for "show-off-dj´s"? if so i´m in!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Mentor

What about the j-pose dj.

Tech Wizard

You forgot the "only in it for they money and chicks" DJ.

what about the "no-skill fakebake would rather be fist pumping while showing my 6 pack and talking about myself Jägerbomb douchbag DJ"? He might be too powerfull in DJ: The mixing, and need a nerf

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Guru

I think one thing that seems to be lacking (i'm mostly pointing to clubs) is the lack of a tastemaker DJ. I don't want to be able to go home to my iTunes, look at the top hits in the iTunes store and see everyone one of those songs played in the club. I want to hear new stuff, stuff that i'm not expecting to hear. The worst of it is the DJ usually can't mix. This is why I bring up these 3 types of DJ's. If you are a tastemaker that can make up for your lack in skill. Or a select set of songs with technical transitions can make up for not having a massive variety in tracks. When you don't fall into any of these categories lack in skill is very apparent.

So even if you are not technical, be a tastemaker! Throw out some random tracks. It's just as satisfactory to break a new song as it is to have sick skill on the decks.

Tech Mentor

if you want to be successful, you have to be able to do all of those to a degree. if you cant market yourself, no one cares what music or how well you play. if you play bad music, no one cares and if you have no technical skills, you wont go anywhere either.

Quote Originally Posted by DJPhaidon View Post
    what about the "no-skill fakebake would rather be fist pumping while showing my 6 pack and talking about myself Jägerbomb douchbag DJ"? He might be too powerfull in DJ: The mixing, and need a nerf
    I am lolling. Maybe an inherent character weakness like can only spin 2 decks and unable to wield 4-channel mixer.
    Last edited by space monkey; 02-09-2010 at 07:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast