PA Speaker Selections
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default PA Speaker Selections

What kind of speakers would people recommend for just playing house parties. I don't have a huge budget but Ive seen a bunch of different more affordable setups. One Ive seen is the Tapco thumps which Ive demoed as a friend has a set of them. Ive also seen ones by Technical Pro, does anyone have any experience with this brand? Let me know some recommendations if you have anything to offer on say under $1000 for a pair. Thanks for looking

I forgot to add id like to get self powered speakers/..
    Last edited by funkeejunkee; 02-13-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Tech Guru

how much technical experience do you have?

I'm in the process of building some Bill Fitz maurice Cabs, working on the Tuba 30's right now (cause I have some alright tops). Plan to couple them with some Omni tops later when I get funds. I plan on building two tubas for around 375-400... and grabbing a crown xti 1000 or xls 1500.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

I've got a pair of the thumps myself, they are amazing! cheap and sound just like the more expensive mackies! get those, you wont regret it!
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

Tech Guru

ahhh, gotcha. lots of people like to go self powered. Idk, I like externally powered speakers myself. They are usually lighter, and you get more control of the volume while in the booth.

whatever you do... do not get behringer b2-15's... they have NO BASS... AT ALL

Tech Guru

I dunno what type of music your are playing, and I havnt used these myself, but the B52 matrix systems are said to be good for mobile djs (and I assume house parties)

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...tem?sku=606060

Now, if you are playing something like, dubstep or DnB I would want something with moar bass (by more, I mean, better low end frequency response)

if you weregoing to be playing some dubstep i'd just pick up 2 of the cheaper loudspeakers and one beefy sub.. cuz i personally think dubstep sounds like dogcrap without loud sexy wobbly bass

Tech Guru

well yeah, definitely, but the thing about dubstep is that, frequency wise, it goes much lower, than almost any other genre. The kicks are pretty high, but you can have sub basslines reaching down as far as 20 hz.

Generally, we percieve that "low powerful bass" when we hear things around 60-90 hz. Most genres just boost this to get people to go bananas. however, most dubstep producers are like, fuck that, we want to liquify some organs, I dont care if they can *hear* it very well.

all of this is based of my opinions of the genre, which I'm honestly not very versed in. I do frequency analysis in my spare time, for fun haha.

haha i was about to say.. can the human ear even hear 20 hz???

and for that matter... will a PA Speaker (not sub) even hit near the range of 20hz?

and since we're on the topic... is there anywhere to buy oem subs or anything of the sort... so i can build my own cabinet??

Tech Guru

yeah. some guys I know swear they have songs that go down to 15 hz. on a variety of headphones i've tested, I've found my ears go down to like, 16ish (its either that or the headphones cant go that low). Thats like, actual sustained note though, not just driver rattle.

A pa speaker cant go anywhere near that low, and most subs cant either. It takes some serious equipment to accuratly make frequencies that low. If you check out the link in my first post, you will find some superb plans for DIY subs and PA speakers. the plans are 15 each, which isnt terrible, and the cabs are amazing (my friends tuba 36 literally almost made me shit myself). All of the details as far as purchasing the parts are in the plans.

Sorry for the hijack funkeejunkee. I hope you can find some affordable PA speakers (and trust me, you want to grab a sub. The bump is what get the ladies hahaha).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast