A thread about scratching on Techtools? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

@ Drimachus, don't take my last comment towards you in the wrong way, I was a little disappointed to find the vid was sped up as it really blew me away. But like you say you still had to perform the scratch's! I'm now the proud owner of 1 scs3d, so I'm really excited to see what's pos on this forward thinking outside the box controller. I've also got a second hand vci 100, with 1.3 firmware already installed heading my way! Because I've spent years learning complex fader cuts I'm still not completely sold on weather the scs3m would be suitable for me? So for now I plan to sit my scs3d next to my pending vci, as this will still give me a the comfort of the fader plus the unique stantouch interface. Drimachus I really think you should upload some tutorials on scs scratching and general use, you've got the skills dude! show the world. In the build up to getting an all in one midi solution, I've spent many hours searching youtube for vids on the scs and there isn't much interesting use of this unique controller. Plus, have you managed to pull off flairs on the scs??

@ Phormula1.8T, hell yeah mate. you have to play around with the wet/dry and split the two fx between two different units but if you play around with lofi as well, it gets really interesting.

@ Zac Kyoti, I wish you had a video camera too! I've got a pro x fade doing nothing in my unused vestax 08, (it's unused as the transformer needs replacing, being the lazy dj I've just been cutting it up on my pioneer 707 instead) Techtools done a vid a looonng time ago covering the pro x fade installment on the vci. Back then I thought this was a bit of luxury on a midi controller, but after your comments I can't wait to see for my self.
    Any chance you could upload a screen grab of your jog settings please mate???

scratching is the thing i love, which eventually sold djing to me long time ago, but still i dunno how, or heck even where to begin

I got the tools (DVS, SL1210s, even VCI100, DJM 600) to start for sure, so... where to look for introduction?

Anyway, last nite i went to check out Beat Torrent (duo of Turntablist, they are half the C2C, 4times DMC champs or somethin)... Their set was friggin insane.
    Both of them had very same Serato setup. 2xSL1210s, scratch mixer and 4*4 pad (sorta midifighter, but looks like Akai or something, dunno this stuff). Their routine consisted of making remix tracks out live (simply put very known vocal/melody layer with phat beat/bass layer - sounds easy, but they made it very complex). Most intriquing part was when they used pad controller to beat juggle routines - all this in duo and at the same time in sync (not virtual sync, by ear AFAICT), they would go juggle routines both at the same time or one does scratch routine and the other juggle or insane combination of all theese - after a while i got lost on who does what. Then they would stop and slowly build up entree for next remix/song. Epic show. Nice selection as well, throughout the night you could hear live remixes for some epic tunes that everybody can be connected to (Led Zeppelin, AC DC, Daft Punk, Prodigy and even score from that old Batman animated show) - all in all big party.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Mentor

man this is no good unless you get us a youtube link lol sounds legendary alright

@ Kupujte_Pytle, Wow you lucky git! in my opinion there is some truth about the battle seen becoming a bit old and stale. But it's groups like c2c who are putting the fun back in to the seen, if you haven't seen it yet you should check out there 3 winning dmc team set's on you tube. Things have got far to technical and boring in the battle seen over the years , but its groups like c2c who brought back the entertainment & fun side of scratching. I went to see Birdy nam nam perform on 2 occasions last year, another french group who used to do similar shows as c2c, but they've broadened there audience by jumping in to the Electro house scene. There shows are mental! they perform as a turntable band remixing songs from there album via scratching, check them out on you tube if you haven't already.

As for learning how to scratch, search you tube for baby scratch's and transform tutorial's, these are the first two areas to start off. You seem to have the desire which is the most important tool for learning this witchcraft. It's an obvious cliche thing to say but practicing as much as pos is the only way. If you leave it a few days between practicing you'll just be spending the first hour catching up with wot you learnt last time. A couple hours spent every day and you'll see improvements straight away which will feed your hunger and help push you for more! With enough hunger and appetite I promise you, any one can learn how to scratch, you just have to really really want it to be able to push thru the brain ache stage. Plus subscribe to my youtube channel " http://www.youtube.com/user/djdubadutch " once I finally get a decent camera I'm planning to share some of the proven techniques I used to teach a few friends.

Default Officially joined the controller club - finally

Apart from cutting my hand to pieces at work, this week has been a great week, I managed to pick up a firm ware updated vci and two scs 3d's for a fraction of the retail price, jenga! Spent yesterday having great fun on my new controller friends, can't believe I've spent so long without fader fx mode, Ean your a genius!

Any way after spending most of the day mixing, my friend and I decided to test the vci and scs scratch credentials, so we made a quick vid of our first attempts of scratching on these little controllers. For transforming I found the scs 3d has the best accuracy but being a touch strip it's going to take a bit of practicing learning how to put a curve on the scs scratch's. For rolling scratch's like flare's and crabs the vci is surprisingly good, plus the midi latency has some very interesting side effects and creates sounds unique to midi controllers.

There's about a 4 mm cut lag on the cross fader which isn't great for detailed cuts so if manage to grow a pair I'll be Transplanting the pro x fade from my vestax pmc 09. While there's some scratch's that are virtually impossible there are still many technical scratch's that are achievable, I'm gonna spend a week refining whats pos and I'll upload a proper vid scratching to a beat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RdzY...eature=channel

good for your first time, and with a broken finger too! haha,

I'm selling my Vestax 07 Pro-D on ebay. I won't post the link, but if anyone's interested PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

(Hey - if I can't post it in a thread about scratchin', where can I post it, eh?)

I'm not giving up on scratching - just down grading... Gonna get a DDM 4000.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

@Double Dutch: I have the VCI-100 set to 3% Sensitivity, 6% Acceleration. The higher acceleration adds a bit more room for musical variation, IMO. Plus it gives that extra edge for fully rewinding longer samples with less hand movement on those tiny jogs.

Thx for the video post, man! Nice work for not having messed with that unit too much. It's definitely a challenge, but you can see that it's capable in the right hands.

I think it's a world of difference having the pro x fader in there - but believe it or not, I'm trying to decide if I prefer having the cut-in set to like 1 mm or less (which is where it's at now), or a little more. Any experience with having a tiny cut-in actually making your scratches less clean? I know it's a strange question, I'm just trying to really dial it in.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Convert

Nice work dubba dutch nice to see a scratch thread up here! Can't wait to see more vids with some other controllers being used. The vci and scs manipulate the sounds great!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast