Looking for a Digital, mid-level setup. <$500
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a Digital, mid-level setup. <$500

Hey there's DJ's. First of all I used the forum search engine, and didn't come up with an answer I was looking for. If you don't want to hear my lil story, and just want to answer my questin, skip to the next paragraph. I am a beginner, and really just make misc as a hobby, as I love it but no good and well I couldn't make a living from it, nor am I going to try so I'm not your competition. I am strictly hip-hop. Right now I use a program with keys on the screen, don't remember what it's called, but it's junk. I want a real synthesizer keyboard, but don't know about all the features they have and what's good and what's crap. Nothing would cruch me more than to buy and then see people online knocking it and calling it :my first keyboard" or something like that.

Here's what I'm looking for> a keyboard with synthesizer capabilites, I don't know if they are one in the same or if two units it ideal or what. I would prefer one.

-I would like it to have many sounds where I can make the keys anywhere from a piano to a fart to the sound of wind.

-it must be compatiblw with windows 7 and ideal for a computer.

-This is mainly for making beats. I would like to be able to strat with a simple drumline, run it back, add sounds, loop etc. I would also like some form of auto tune.

-I want great software of course.

Any more criteria ?'s let me know. I appreciate it in advance, I'd like to make this my new go to spot, and hope to be able to giveback/shar info in the future.

-Any comments welcome. Wel'll flames are not welcome, but I will still rerad them and consider.

you are kind of asking for a lot, here. The microkorg doesnt have the sound of a piano, but you can always use it's midi capabilities and stuff.

Just spend some money on a Axiom 49 and throw a little bit towards some software / samples.
    papachilla...| UB Macbook Pro | NI Kontrol S4 | NI Kontrol X1 | AKAI MPD32 | AKAI LPK25 | KRK ROKIT5-2

You are trying to get a lot by spending like pennies. I understand you are doing this as a hobby, but its not going to be a cheap hobby for you. I would save up some money, get a good computer, get a decent midi controller, and buy some solid VSTs. The way I am suggesting is going to be the cheapest method, and even that is going to run you around $1,000 if you do it right.

If you want to buy a real keyboard with sounds etc, you are not going to find somethng that is "good" under $500. You can certainly find a keyboard under $500, but its not going to be what you are looking for.

Tech Convert

you can find lots of cheap and trial software out there. research man, research. google "computer music masterclass"
    forget about just using only a keyboard.

Tech Mentor

Yeah, go the software route + midi controller. Going the hardware route is very expensive and there's nothing software can't do these days.

ableton ?
    2xTECHS/DJM4/TF/SL3/MBPRO

Dang, thanks alot for your help. It's benn a bit for a reply because the comp at my house doesn't support the forum. I'm going to do some research and even check out some of these instruments. Keep the suggestions coming.

*I'm not really trying to spend pennies. I am willing to pay upward of $500 for a used instrument, Of course, that is 50,000 pennies.

And BTW, this is part of the "research"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMikeMike View Post
    Dang, thanks alot for your help. It's benn a bit for a reply because the comp at my house doesn't support the forum. I'm going to do some research and even check out some of these instruments. Keep the suggestions coming.

*I'm not really trying to spend pennies. I am willing to pay upward of $500 for a used instrument, Of course, that is 50,000 pennies.

And BTW, this is part of the "research"
    I can sell you a use minimoog voyager for $2,000. Its a rack mount. I am not sure what you think you will find in the $500 range, but that is pennies for this kind of stuff. If you want quality you need to spend serious money. My TR909 sold for over $1,000 on ebay, and it was old... Like I stated earlier, this is not a cheap hobby. As everyone is stating, the cheapest most cost effective route for you would be a solid computer and some vsts...

Ableton Lite
    M-Audio Oxygen 49 keyboard (or even a 25 if you don't need the extra keys and faders)
    Native Instruments Audio 2DJ sound card

Lite comes with some cool loops and your investment is not lost if you want to upgrade.

The Oxygen series are pre-mapped for Ableton (just download the DIrectlink software and use preset 10)

The NI A2DJ is entry level in that it has no inputs, you should really consider the A4DJ or Kontrol Audio if you need inputs.

The above setup should run you about $300 - 350 US.

Cheers, Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast