Trance and midifighting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Trance and midifighting

So um yeah, Im bored out of my skull when it comes to spinning trance via controllerism.

Not sure what to do =(

Im so spoiled with 4 deck mixing!

If I spinning vynil it would be more challenging, but Im not setting up timecode, that changes up my whole setup dramatically, so thats a no go.

Any thoughts from fellow midi fighters?
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

It's hard to do much with such dense music. Trance has so much going on that FX or layering adds very little.

I'd say try layering different genres, like breaks or melodic techno, something with more "open space" in it. Or just go off the deep end and go with live production/remixing with Ableton Live. Reordering tracks, breaking them into layers and reconstructing them differently each time, adding your own bass lines and parts, turning your mix into a narrative with themes running through he whole thing (choose a break and see if you can layer it at the beginning, middle and end of a set with a different feeling each time. I've heard it done.), add your own vocal pieces from audiobooks. Cut out a simple 4-count loop and keep it going, play a new track over that and loop a tiny part of that one, add another track over the top and loop a piece of that one, keep going to see how many you can add before you have to take one out.

Seriously, if you're bored with Ableton you're bored with life. You can be endlessly annoyed with it's little foibles, but bored, never.

Tech Mentor

Already using ableton for production, might as well go off the deep end I suppose lol, thats all new beast to learn, any tips/suggestions?

Tech Guru

talk with sarasin, jester, tekki and dvls
    at this thread:
    "PsyTrance Mega Super Awesome Mix"
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9958

it's not just trance but psytrance has a lot of fx too and high bpm going on...
    i'm waiting to see the Psytrain mix to learn from this guys

Tech Mentor

Not even the same thing. I can do hard techno and schranz on 4 decks. Ive messed around with psy on 4 decks, I just dont like psy.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

schranz ???

I had never heard of it till now. I googled it... 150 - 170 bpm ... my god!!!

lol psy blows
    yeah i think with most trance except the cheesey euro pop stuff, less is more. A lot of tracks tend to use similar effects to what you'd throw at them anyway with traktor etc. I really think long, layered harmonic transitions suit trance perfect. Don't feel like you have to use the bloody beatmasher just cos its there, basically
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

170 bpm?! holy heart palptitations batman.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

i find this myself. I spin trance with traktor in the house but if im playing out i always just play on the cdj's. I dont think there is much you can do with trance imo without making it sound stupid/crap or too much going on.

When im playing techno tho i usually go for the 4 decks mash-ups because i find there is alot more space in techno tracks to play about with them.

Just one of those things i suppose but its always good to experiment and find out for urself and maybe i could be wrong

Ya gotta have 5 minutes of un-fucked with track or else its not trance anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast