external hard drive for digital djing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default external hard drive for digital djing

Hi, I wanted to get some of your opinions on if it is recommended to keep my music collection on an external hardrive when i'm djing, keep in mind that i do use my macbook pro for schoolwork and what not, so space on the macbook itself is at a premium. But I was wondering if anybody else out there uses a ardrive to store their music, and if so, is it any good, or do you find that in alot of instances their is some lagging when loading songs?

Lacie Rugged with firewire and 7200 speed would be your best bet
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Lecko View Post
    +1
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I use a Seagate over a USB connection and have had no lagging issues. And +1 on the Lacie rugged drives, I'm getting one soon.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lecko View Post
    +1 as well. There was also another one which Beatport was endorsing for a while, might be worth looking into. Another option could be getting a middle of the line SSD and putting it into an enclosure. Depends on your budget though, either way, the Lacie Rugged is a good start

You must be in my mind or something... I was just talking to someone about this today and I was inquiring about the Lacie Rugged. I have a 160GB HD that was one of the first external FW800s that was bus powered. Its been making some weird noises recently, I am thinking I should get a new drive because it would suck to be out and have something go wrong... So I was just asking a good friend of mine today what he thought of the Lacie Rugged, he used to use it. He now just has all his music on his internal HD, but anyways he uses his Lacie still as his backup. I am most likely gonna go with this as well.

Tech Guru

Fun fact: it's the EHD choice for Sasha when he's on the road.

thanks alot for the replies, I will definitely look into the lacie external drive, but on a slightly different note, i'm just starting to digital dj, actually just starting to dj at all, and I was wondering what you guys do when you have a show or a gig. Do you guys just bring all your music i.e. either all internal hd or external hd, or do you guys just bring like the ones that you think you'll be using for the night? I dunno just sometimes i find it so confusing to decide what songs to play when I have all my music in front of me lol.

regards,

It's off topic really dude.

Start a new thread and i'm sure you'll get answers a plenty :-)
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bmo View Post
    thanks alot for the replies, I will definitely look into the lacie external drive, but on a slightly different note, i'm just starting to digital dj, actually just starting to dj at all, and I was wondering what you guys do when you have a show or a gig. Do you guys just bring all your music i.e. either all internal hd or external hd, or do you guys just bring like the ones that you think you'll be using for the night? I dunno just sometimes i find it so confusing to decide what songs to play when I have all my music in front of me lol.

regards,
    What I do is store all the music relevant to my tastes at the time internally on my laptop. It's always a rule of thumb to do this (for me at least) for integrity/performance/physical space reasons. The EHD I use purely to backup my information and keep on hand in case I need to pull something real quick off of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast