Midi Keyboards - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midi Keyboards

Tech Wizard

If you are a beginner and don't know how to play the piano you won't need more than 25 keys.
    Especially in EDM, the melodies and basslines you play won't go over more than 2 octaves, so 25 keys is just right. Whole different story if you are going to compose classical movies or soundtracks...

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Tobert View Post
    If you are a beginner and don't know how to play the piano you won't need more than 25 keys.
    Especially in EDM, the melodies and basslines you play won't go over more than 2 octaves, so 25 keys is just right. Whole different story if you are going to compose classical movies or soundtracks...
    Have to whole heartedly disagree with this I'm afraid.. go 49 or you'll constantly be changing the octave range for each new patch and channel you're on and you wont stumble across that pot of gold lead by accidentally playing that bass sound high up the keyboard Besides altho a part may not go over 2 octaves it depends where it starts from... not much goes fom C-C it will ALWAYS just be over the split where you want to play in the real world of Murphy! Most importantly... you won't progress your keyboard skill if you're restricted.

Tech Wizard

I guess you have a point. Might especially get tricky when playing chords
    Would also advice at least 37 keys after thinking about it.

After having recently gone to 49 keys, I would say that it is the strict minimum. If you want to really play anything that moves around a bit, you will need 5 octaves (61 keys). For understanding cords and getting a feel of progressions, 49 is good, but I would consider a 61 as a next tool. But if going to 61, I would not get any bells and whistles, just a good midi weighted keyboard.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

I personally bought a Behringer UMX25 which is the predecessor to their UMX250. Only differences are the rubber buttons and keys.

Although my style of production is overdubbing and as stated before if you are going to play traditionally you will need more keys as it will be frustrating hitting your octave shift buttons all the time.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Tech Convert

actually... I REALLY want the floor keyboard from the toy store in BIG that Hanks plays on!! or this would do I guess... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXh2n0aPyw <--- forgets Novation A and K stations and buys a subway station

Tech Mentor

Akai MPK49, with an APC40, and a MPD32. thats the ish right there.

Cool What DAW do you plan on using?

Here is a good question, what DAW do you plan on using? The Axiom 49 automatically maps with Ableton Live and saves you a lot of setup time when trying to figure out how to integrate it into your workflow. The Axiom 49 PRO maps to every other DAW (ProTools, Reason, Logic) and has hypertouch which is a great feature for playing. I have played the Akai and Novation and they have a nice feeling but the Axiom Pro has the best playability from a keyboard play perspective. I own an Axiom 49 with an AKAI APC40 and Ableton Live.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12