Midi Keyboards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midi Keyboards

Default Midi Keyboards

Right, I know this has been up here in the past as I used the search function, but I was to ask the wonderful people on DJTT what you would buy.

I currently use the Novation Launchpad with Ableton to put stuff together for production purposes, but have realised it's much better for playing out with aka as a controller, on top of that I need to be able to play chords and the likes, so was thinking of actually getting a midi keyboard instead which has pads and rotaries and of course keys.

so my question is, as a starter would you buy a 25 key or 49 key?

question 2 is out of the following models what would you say is my best bet, I can afford upto £300 for a midi keyboard, been told about the Axiom 25 and the MPK 49.

this is going to be purely for production as I have my Xone 4D for mixing in Traktor...

all help greatly appreciated, realised since trying to put down tracks in Ableton that a proper keyboard is definitely the way forward for me!

I've heard axiom has problems with "clicky" or "sticky" keys. I've got the MPD32 which is built in the same way as the mpk49 and it's solid.

I used to have a 25 key oxygen 8, but if you have any proficiency as a keyboardist it's not enough. Go for 49!

Hard to explain but I don't have proficiency on the keyboard, but can spot a bum chord

how about the novation keyboards they any good?

yeah novations have a good rep i'm sure they'd be fine, unless you have an aversion to their automap software.

If you like using two hands for chords, or reasonably complex melodies, go for 49.

Just throwing this out there, i bought the oxygen 49 for £90 49 keys, 8 cheap sliders, 8 knobs which are fine and 8 buttons. Pitch bend and modulation. All i use it for is playing in chords and melodies. Controls feel quite cheap, but I think theyre ok

Having said that...i probably use the faders and encoders on my mpd32 more

Best bet is to get down to a shop and try them, as everyone always says!

Yes i think the shop is a good option, only problem with that is finding one I can actually get to and park, not an easy task but will try

oxygen 49 looks like a good starter keyboard, which is all I am after to be honest.

ok been checking out various keyboards, as I said not a pro at playing keyboards but I can hear a melody and put stuff together pretty easily.

so from this selection what would the more educated people choose?

M Audio Axiom 49
    Novation SL Compact 49
    Akai MPK 49

Tech Mentor

I think Novation still has the offer that if you own two of their products, you get Automap Pro for free. Whole different thing whether it is of any use to you
    @Twumpy

Well I did a bit of searching, found a very nice forum called KVR and a few posts up there all saying Novation over the Axion, so that decision has been sorted will have to check out in regards to the free software, but if it's true i shall be getting it lol, cheers for the heads up!

Tech Guru

the akai is more money but it has everything ( faders, knobs, pads, bend wheel ) but i think trying it out would be the better thing to do like mentioned before
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

This would fit your needs I think:

http://www.akaipro.com/mpk25

Akai makes superior products and controllers IMO!

Only thing I don't like about this is the rectangular pads, I like the square ones, but that's just me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast