Do you run everything in the club mono or stereo?
    Tech Wizard

Default Do you run everything in the club mono or stereo?

and why do you choose whichever you use? Considering going to mono, so I can use my mixer instead of the one on traktor (frees up knobs on the mpd24)
    Thanks ahead for the feedback!

I'm no pro DJ but do people actually play out in mono?
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

In general, it's good advice to sum everything to mono; have the same audio information coming out all speakers.

Depends on the type of performance you're giving really - lots of swoopy stereo panning and panning delays, and wizardry or just making sure the punters can all hear their favourite tune.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
    In general, it's good advice to sum everything to mono; have the same audio information coming out all speakers.

Depends on the type of performance you're giving really - lots of swoopy stereo panning and panning delays, and wizardry or just making sure the punters can all hear their favourite tune.
    i would never play out in mono.. actually mapped my vci with shift+crossfader for panning the focused deck, just to make some panning effects..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Tech Wizard

depends. there are some clubs that will have there sound system set u as mono so no matter what you do you're stuck with it. i say stereo is always better. keeps the 'feel' of a tune. just my preference.
    Gear --> MBP 15" 2.53Ghz 500Gb 7200rpm HDD 4Gb RAM | DDM 4000 | UMX 25 | AK1 | AL7.18 | Traktor Pro 1.2.4

i think this is a good read on the topic:
    http://www.illumina.net/

but i should preface that as mentioned this is something clubs will sometimes do after the house mixer (or summed on house mixer) so everything is still plugged into the house mixer in stereo: cdjs, tts, midi controller setup as both the L & R sources are combined, like kidfromkibbly said the goal is to have all the sounds coming out all the speakers so everyone hears the same thing.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Keep everything plugged stereo. If you are playing in a proper club then they have everything set up properly for their club already... don't start playing sound engineer.

Tech Guru

From now on I am gonna play 'Are you gonna go my way' by Lenny Kravitz in mono. There's some heavy panning going on in that track and it pisses me right off! The guitar solo come from one side of the room and the vocals come from another.

Tech Mentor

It would be a sin to run a show mono

Tech Mentor

How can someone even think of performing in mono?

Of course crappy clubs mixdown to mono, but that's beyond your control...