opening djs: dont break the ten commandments - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    Fuck all that shit! I play what I want when I want and I expect a DJ opening for me to do so too!
    I hate "warm up" DJ's, I only have time for "set em on fire" DJ's!
    If you can't handle the heat then stay the fuck out the kitchen!
    bet your parties rock

not
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Mentor

what about remixing 1 track the same way one of your favorite pro dj's did. is that under the amendments somewhere?

hmm hearing the same cheesey electro track 2 or 3 times, magic.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

LOL

So true... every dj should burn those commandments in their skin so they do not forget them.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    bet your parties rock

not
    Ha, they do actually! My DJ roots spring from the days when the only format was vinyl, we were teens on a budget and didn't have funds to buy records to accommodate a "warm up set". It was literally a competition of who had the best, most kicking shit. There was none of this "don't piss off the next DJ" crap, if anything pissing off the next DJ was the aim of the game. If you were the next DJ and your shit wasn't as banging as the guy before you then tough shit! It was cut-throat, survival of the fittest. I dunno what clubs most of you go to but I like to walk into a place that's rockin!! Why has everything gotta always be warming up? Light a match and chuck it on the fire.

(by the way, my roots are from the DnB side of things, shit was always rocking!)
    Last edited by dodge; 02-19-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Some of them make sense (not playing tracks by the band/dj you're warming up for, not rinsing the newest/hottest stuff, not playing psychotically upbeat bangers at 10pm) but some is just total crap (not looking at what the guy is play - fuck right off, if I like a track and it's an appropriate time, of course I'm going to ask what it is. If I could scratch anything other than my arse I would, but more as a segue thing that a q bert thing, and the 'booth bitch' thing is off, my wife regularly comes to gigs I do and pops over to talk to me occasionally)

A little good advice, a lot of crap if you ask me.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    Ha, they do actually! My DJ roots spring from the days when the only format was vinyl, we were teens on a budget and didn't have funds to buy records to accommodate a "warm up set". It was literally a competition of who had the best, most kicking shit. There was none of this "don't piss off the next DJ" crap. If you were the next DJ and your shit wasn't as banging as the guy before you then tough shit! I dunno what clubs most of you go to but I like to walk into a place that's rockin!! Why has everything gotta always be warming up? Light a match and chuck it on the fire.
    Erm, because if I'm playing a set at 10pm, when the crowd are starting to turn up, a lot of people are quite sober, I can't imagine much worse than having the DJ playing absolute rinse out bangers, when the crowd aren't warmed up yet. 'The most kicking shit' isn't necessarily the huge tunes ...

Just my opinion, of course
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

I'm surprised there was no speed limit in the commandments. It is a sin equal to leaving no volume for the headliner. Some prick got the floor pinned at 140 at 10:30... get a life and some taste. Its not about the DJ, its about the people. Give them the taste for where the night could go, and let the headliner rock their sock off. Your job is to leave them wanting more, the hardest job in DJing.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Mentor

this is what happens when everyone thinks they are the hottest thing since sliced bread. instead of looking at the night as a whole, people think only about their set. people who think, i dont care if i piss off the next DJ are in a for a surprise. how many times have people had their break when they opened for a big name DJ? when you tick people off, you tend not to go anywhere because no one wants to work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    I'm surprised there was no speed limit in the commandments. It is a sin equal to leaving no volume for the headliner. Some prick got the floor pinned at 140 at 10:30... get a life and some taste. Its not about the DJ, its about the people. Give them the taste for where the night could go, and let the headliner rock their sock off. Your job is to leave them wanting more, the hardest job in DJing.

Phil.
    Hell, if you're following the 'headliner' I'd hope they back off a little for the last couple of tracks to leave somwhere to go - Last time I did this the guy was bang on the money - finished his set at 2am, and dropped it a little so I had some wiggle room

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast