opening djs: dont break the ten commandments - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Man, i must be living in a paradise full of saint people ... i never had even slightest problem with those Ten and so other DJs. Perhaps it's due genre, but more likely it all goes down to communication with other DJs - I have yet to meet the "prick" DJ. (perhaps it will come soon, as i am currently trying to reach for commercial sphere and genres and it's distinctive jobs).
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Teiresias View Post
    Erm, because if I'm playing a set at 10pm, when the crowd are starting to turn up, a lot of people are quite sober, I can't imagine much worse than having the DJ playing absolute rinse out bangers, when the crowd aren't warmed up yet. 'The most kicking shit' isn't necessarily the huge tunes ...

Just my opinion, of course
    Ah mate, I'm not talking about when people are turning up, of course have some decorum. I'm not saying slam the shit out of a half empty club either or whack the volume full blast when people are still on their first drink. I'm saying if the place is full or near enough, don't hold back on tracks just because you're a warm up DJ. Get the party going man, what are you waiting for? I know what to play and when, that's the aim of the game obviously. If you don't know how to play appropriate music for the right moment then you're in the wrong place. The management where I work always say that some how I always manage to play the right track at the right time, they love it. What Im saying is, if people have paid to have their socks rocked off, rock them off! Sure they might be waiting for the main act, but shit if I'm at a club all night I feel robbed if literally the hour or 2 of the headliner is the only time the place is rockin. I like to walk away saying "so and so DJ was good, matey boy after him was good", I don't like to feel everything is on hold for an hour or so of the night.

Jack Bastard

Dodge, you seem to have this false dichotomy thing going on; tracks are either bangers or boring. There's a whole spectrum of quality music that you seem to be missing.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kupujte_Pytle View Post
    Man, i must be living in a paradise full of saint people ... i never had even slightest problem with those Ten and so other DJs. Perhaps it's due genre, but more likely it all goes down to communication with other DJs - I have yet to meet the "prick" DJ. (perhaps it will come soon, as i am currently trying to reach for commercial sphere and genres and it's distinctive jobs).
    See this is what I am talking about, I have met plenty of prick DJ's but not because they have broken these rules, they are just generally a prick. But the thing is they have probably broken most of these rules but yeah I have never let it bother me if a DJ plays a slamming set before me, if the volume is too loud or if they are playing tracks you were planning on playing. Maybe the difference between me and most is that my strong point is knowing how to handle most situations. Music too loud? Fade out the previous DJ's last track and leave the music off for just the right amount of time before you wow the crowd with your intro. Set before yours was slamming? Slam yours even harder. Tracks you were planning to play got played? Make sure you've done your homework and you have shit others haven't got, play the tracks already played but drop them in a way that make em sound fresh.
    I guess I got dropped in the deep end and played after shit hot DJ's that absolutely tore it apart so I had to be on form otherwise people would have laughed at me.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    Dodge, you seem to have this false dichotomy thing going on; tracks are either bangers or boring. There's a whole spectrum of quality music that you seem to be missing.
    Yeah obviously. People tell me multiple times in a night that they love the music I play and it's so good to hear someone playing something different other then the usual stuff everyone else plays, and like I said the management literally ask how the hell I know how to drop the right track at the right time.
    So yeah, I gotta be doing something wrong.
    I'm not saying I'm the best DJ or anything, far from it. What I am trying to say is that instead of learning what you can't do, learn what you can do!
    Last edited by dodge; 02-19-2010 at 07:14 AM.

140?! hehehehehheeeeeee *

* is drunk.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    Yeah obviously. People tell me multiple times in a night that they love the music I play and it's so good to hear someone playing something different other then the usual stuff everyone else plays, and like I said the management literally ask how the hell I know how to drop the right track at the right time.
    Really? You're a dj and people tell you they love the music you play?

That sounds super-awesome. Wow, can't imagine that happening to many djs.

@JesterNZDJ

Yeah 140, you mean there is anything other than House? LOL
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Sorry lads, the jester is just in a semi weird mood this evening. carry on
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

I've just realised that most of you are probably talking from a house DJ point of view. 140bpm? Shit, in my sets things go from 60 bpm all the way up to 180, back down again and everything in between.
    If most of you are strict house heads (or 130bpm heads), thats cool and I'm sure there are certain standards house DJ's expect from other house DJ's. My days of sticking to one genre are over. Even when I started off playing purely DnB I'd slip in the odd hiphop track or house track. No one was doing that round my way, it was straight up DnB the whole way. For me it's all about up and down, peaks and troughs, pulling them in then pushing them out. I guess I've learnt to adapt to switching the mood of the crowd with good results.
    ANYWAY, I have far exceeded my daily limit of posts on this one thread so Im done on this subject. I have only ever had good feedback from what I do, so how ever I might sound in an internet forum doesn't bother me, I know I deliver regardless of the DJ before or after me and no one has ever had to have a word in my ear about what I do.

oh and Jack Bastard, if you wanna jump on the personal attack wagon towards some random on the internet go for it mate.
    Last edited by dodge; 02-19-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast